Author Topic: Bisquette on fire  (Read 3793 times)

Offline gflande1

Bisquette on fire
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:21 am »
Is it normal for the bisquette to catch fire? Currently by BPS is at 221F, and the puck is on fire...

Offline gflande1

Re: Bisquette on fire
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 06:04:25 am »
went back out and the fire was starting to burn the cover, cant imagine this is what is supposed to happen. I ended up easily blowing out the fire, and turned the bisquette burner down. Seems to be fine now.

Sorry, Im a newbie

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:12:55 pm »
Hi gflande1;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

The bisquettes should only smolder, there should not be any flame coming from them. I would contact Bradley, because it appears your bisquette burner is burning too high. It is possible that they installed the wrong jet at the factory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline takem01

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »
Did you store the bisquettes in the house?  I've experienced similarproblems with the BPS in the past (generally on windy days), but I'm thing that the relative humidity plays a part as well.  the simple adage that dry wood burns easier than wet.  I'm going to try to get a little humidity into the pucks before I use them next time (maybe putting them in the oven with a pan of hot water for a couple of hours).  I'll let you know.

Offline Consooger

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:30:59 pm »
sounds like a lot of work for burning the pucks, I've never had these problems ever, interesting
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

NePaSmoKer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:35:38 am »
Never seen this to my pucks in the BPS either.

Offline KyNola

• Moderation Team
  • KCBS CBJ
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
Did you store the bisquettes in the house?  I've experienced similarproblems with the BPS in the past (generally on windy days), but I'm thing that the relative humidity plays a part as well.  the simple adage that dry wood burns easier than wet.  I'm going to try to get a little humidity into the pucks before I use them next time (maybe putting them in the oven with a pan of hot water for a couple of hours).  I'll let you know.
I would be reluctant to try your idea for 2 reasons. 1. There is a chance you may accidentally fill your oven and home with smoke if they get too warm and 2. the bisquettes don't react well to moisture, meaning they will deteriorate and fall apart if exposed to too much moisture.  There is a reason some of us store open packages of bisquettes in air tight containers. ;)

NePaSmoKer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:08:18 am »
Ditto with Ky

I have a BPS. If you dont have the cover on right by the smoke gen, any wind can blow the cover over the flame on the burner tube thus causing the cover to catch fire. I have not had an issue with pucks catching fire when the BPS is in normal operation. If someone has tampered with the lpg needle flow on the regulator you could have a larger flame under the slide which could make the pucks ignite.

Offline takem01

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:54 pm »
I was planning to use the oven as a container only.  No heat except for the steam from the water,