Fish Tacos

Started by SnellySmokesEm, July 18, 2011, 10:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

Anyone have a good fish taco recipe?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

Love fish tacos..

I hot smoke them (whitefish, swai, whatever) until they flake, then just slap a few chunks in a warmed soft taco that has some sour cream schmeared on the bottom, and top with a splash of taco sauce, a mix of black beans and Mexicali corn (heat in the nuker) and some shredded lettuce/cheese.     That was our standard Friday night dinner during lent.   :D

Tenpoint5

I usually get them fresh out of the oil, sprinkle some cheese on them then top with some fresh Pico

Pico recipe I use.

Pico de Gallo

2 Jalapenos, sliced and diced                                         1 Lime, squeezed
4 Large red tomatoes, sliced and diced                         Olive Oil, 2-3 tblspns
ΒΌ Onion, diced                                                               Spice to taste
Cilantro, Put leaves in cup and chop with scissors          Minced Garlic

Mix all together and let set before serving. Great with Chips, Meat, Bread, Rice, Pasta........

ADD IN'S:  Some different ingredients to give a little different taste when added
Sour Cream, Avocado, Black beans, Mango, Sugar or Honey
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tsquared

That recipe sounds like one to try, 10.5. We're leaving wednesday to chase after the basic ingredient for fish tacos (halibut). If we're successful, I'll give your recipe a try.
T2

La Quinta

Squirt...did you know that swai is actually an irredescent shark (only alien looking in their youth) catfish? Crazy...we ask for catfish at the local markets out here and we get swai....it's a nice fish for people who like a very mild flavored fish..

Anyhoo...we always lightly smoke our fish...then batter and deep fry for tacos....then the rest of the normal taco toppings with guacamole on the side...Oh...but NO CHEESE...just not right.. :)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: La Quinta on July 19, 2011, 01:02:33 AM
..Oh...but NO CHEESE...just not right.. :)

LQ give it a shot with some shredded Smoked Pepper Jack. You don't put a lot on just a light sprinkling.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

No No Nannette...aka 10.5...no fish and cheese...sorry my friend...avacado good...lime good...cheese malo...not good...I could try it but it's contrary to my core beliefs!!!  ;D But for you Chris...I might...

iceman

The last fish tacos we had I used Cod. I cut it up into small strips and used a seasoned light breading and deep fried the strips for just a minute. Then wrapped them in a hot soft corn tortilla with Pico de Gallo and some other trimmings. Real tasty and the contrast of the fried fish and soft taco was great. Opps forgot to mention the cod was cold smoked for 30 minutes prior to frying.

La Quinta

See...even the Ice man doesn't use cheese Chris!!!!! :D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: La Quinta on July 29, 2011, 01:00:23 AM
See...even the Ice man doesn't use cheese Chris!!!!! :D

Yes he did it falls under the "some other trimmings" section of his reply :P :P

tsquared

10.5--thanks for the pico de gallo recipe--I just sent off our happy dinner guests who were full of your recipe. i used a combo of rock cod and halibut that we caught on my fishing trip last week for the tacos  with home made flour tortillas, pico de gallo plus extra choices. I had Scotch smoked salmon for appies and a blackbery/sour cherry/apple crumble for dessert. That was definately a "make it again dinner"
T2

unclefish

we make all sorts of fish tacos  and I always end up putting Chipotle mayonnaise on them and they always taste good. one of favorite meals. ..
Always seem to like  blackened fish on them the best.