To salty

Started by Stash, April 24, 2004, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stash

I'm new to this smoking thing. I've purchased a Bradley and have just tried making the Indian Candy smoked salmon. I followed the instructions  as  shown at 50% salt and 50% brown suger but the result was way to salty for my liking. My question is, how do I get it a little less salty? Cut down the amount of salt or shorten the time the salmon is exposed to it?
I hope this question isn't to stupid but I'm a beginner at this!!!

Fuzzybear

Yeah, I'd cut down on the amount of salt for sure - you might rinse it also if you already had not done so.

I like my salmon more on the sweet side myself...I use salt and brown sugar and water for the brine - about 1/3rd salt to 2/3 sugar, but that's me... here's what I used...
marinade: (real simple)
1/2 cup salt (your choice)
2 cups brown sugar
6 cups water
(we like our fish less on the salty side and more on the sweeter side)

stir till mixed in a large bowl or pan.

Fish:
2 - 2lb fillets cut into 1 1/2 inch wide (across the fillet) strips

Cut fish into strips, place in brine and cover with a plate (keep all the fish in the brine)

Fish will soak for 6 to 24 hours - sorry, have not made my mind up how long I want to stay awake tonight!

Will smoke at 150-170 degrees for up to 4 hours with either maple or apple wood -

Welcome aboard and don't give up...there are some other posts here about salmon brine - each one is just a tad different but they all work well.  You might want to hit the "fish" section and see what's over there...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!