Praising Jan's Rub

Started by EDinNB, July 18, 2011, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDinNB

Ever since I did my first smoke with my own Rub Recipe, I was looking for the ultimate dry rub and found Jan's here and at the sister site.

I must say it is the most versitile rub I've ever used.  On Sunday, the Mrs. and I were having grilled pork chops for supper, I sprinkled a small amount of Jan's Rub on both sides of the chops and took them off at 160 IT, both me and the Mrs. agree they were the most awesome bone on loin chops we have ever tasted.

Thanks Jan whoever you are :)

EDinNB

DTAggie

It is a great rub for sure.  You can thank KyNola's wife for the recipe.

KyNola

EDinNB,
Thank you for your kind words.  Jan is my wife and we developed Jan's Rub.  Jan did the majority of the researching so we named it after her.  We originally were looking for a rub similar to one that a friend of mine uses on chicken at his BBQ restaurant.  Jan's Rub was as close as we could get.  Then folks started telling us about all the different things they were using it on so apparently we developed an all around multi-purpose rub!

Again, thank you very much.  It always makes Jan smile when I show her someone's comments about the Rub.

KyNola

EDinNB

KyNola,

I have one question about "Jan's Rub".  Has anyone ever substituted onion powder and garlic powder for the onion and garlic salt.

Just thinking of a way to reduce the sodium content.

Comments, Yea or Nay? OR "leave the danged stuff alone it is perfect as is!!!!!"  :)

EDinNB

KyNola

Quote from: EDinNB on July 19, 2011, 08:35:51 AM
KyNola,
I have one question about "Jan's Rub".  Has anyone ever substituted onion powder and garlic powder for the onion and garlic salt.
Comments, Yea or Nay? OR "leave the danged stuff alone it is perfect as is!!!!!"  :)
EDinNB
If you go to the recipe site you will find where we altered the original recipe for a spicier version titled "Jan's Spicy Dry Rub".  In that one we did sub garlic powder for garlic salt and upped the cayenne to get more of a "bite" to it.

Feel free to sub powders for the salts and see how it goes.  I haven't tried subbing the powders for the salts in the original version though.  It is going to alter the flavor some, just not sure how much it will alter it.  Just in case it alters it too much, I would consider making a half batch the first time out so you haven't wasted as much spices.  If you try it, let me know what you think. 

viper125

I made up Jans rub for some ribs and since have used it on beef,pork and chicken. It is a very excellant rub. Chose it over a premade figuring I can alter it to our taste or recipe. So far havnt experimented with altering anything in it. I guess I just like homemade things and the pleasure of knowing I made it. Also I like to know what's in things I eat. Made up some sause for the same reason. But tell Jan a big thank you for me. Served it to about 35-40 people and they all have loved it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Thanks Viper.  Glad you like it.  Another reason for Jan to smile.

iceman

Just did a few pork butts with Jans spicy rub and the wow factor was at the top of the chart. Also had some almonds to do so I smoked them then roasted them with some Jans rub that I ground up to a fine powder. Those were a big hit !
That is a must have item to keep in the pantry. Great rub!  :)

squirtthecat

I just dumped the last of my 2 pound supply on a turkey boulder...    Time to mix up another vat of it!

iceman

Quote from: EDinNB on July 19, 2011, 08:35:51 AM
KyNola,

EDinNB

If you use onion and garlic powder you can get the salty taste back by using some of this and still keep the sodium level down.

viper125

I like salt but try and not to eat so much. But so far I like Jans the way it is. Want to cut salt? Quit chips and the like and eat more Jans. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

EDinNB

Shared 2 bags of Lays with 5 or 6 ppl playing cards and thats all the chips I've had since June 15.... I used to be a 3 bag man....

EDinNB

sparky1

larry, your wife is the jan from jan's rub.  how cool.  alot of ppl use it on alot of different stuff.  you guys sell it? 
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

KyNola

Sparky, thank you very much.  No, we don't sell it.  We developed the recipe and posted on the recipe site.  Spark, I can't believe how rude we have been to you.  No one has mentioned our recipe website to you.  One of our most senior members provides this to us.

Here is the recipe website. www.susanminor.org

And here is the recipe for Jan's Dry Rub http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub

We punched it up a bit and did a spicier version  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?740-Jan-s-Spicy-Dry-Rub

Sparky, time for you to share with us your expertise on smoking ribs!  Guys, here's the first clue.  Sparky cooks his ribs at 250.  After watching his success on another website, I now cook my ribs at 250 and they come out great.  Spark is on to something with the 250 cooking temp.  Wait until you see what he puts on his ribs when he foils them. :o 8)

ccfdmike

Sparky,
What do you put on your ribs when you foil them?