Praising Jan's Rub

Started by EDinNB, July 18, 2011, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

Quote from: EDinNB on July 19, 2011, 08:35:51 AM
KyNola,

I have one question about "Jan's Rub".  Has anyone ever substituted onion powder and garlic powder for the onion and garlic salt.

EDinNB

i just made a batch of jan's and that is what i did (had to cut salt content, stroke patient here).  

well, because larry asked here it is. 

sparky's signature ribs:

1) light coating of glue (i use french's)

2) rub your favorite rub on (little louie's w/ pepper, squirt rub, 3eyz are my favorites but will use anything on a rib) lighty or a little more.  alot of rub to me isn't needed.  i want to taste the meat not just rub.

3) throw on smoker @ 275º w/ a spray of apple juice or beer (i use the kids beer).

4) after 2 FT's turn ribs over.  spray again.

5) at the 2 hour mark i give them some FL love.  FL = 2 layers of foil, 1 tbs butter, brown sugar (handful) and then drizzly honey.  wrap tight and back on smoker for 1 hour (meat side down).

6) 3 hour mark or so unwrap your ribs.  PLEASE BE CAREFUL.  the liquid is very hot.  burn myself to many times.  save liquid goodness.  part of the process.  

7) ribs back on w/ liquid goodness poured on.  i use the toothpick test to check for doneness.  usually 1/2 to 3/4 hours more.

8) let rest for 10 minutes or so unless your guest are real hungry.  

plz don't tell anyone about this.  it's a secret.  i have made money cooking ribs for ppl this past year.  a little weekend work for some extra money that my wife lets me keep.  ya.  i hope you enjoy this.  i have never posted this on any forum except this one.   ya'll are cool.  ppl have been very friendly to me.  a real nice place to hang out.  thank you.   8)

26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

ccfdmike

I can't wait to share this with my wife. Your secret is safe with me ;) I'll let you know how this turns out.....Thanks
Mike

KyNola

ANOTHER secret "receipt". :D  Sorry Spark, the secret receipt is an old running joke on this forum.  Thanks for sharing your method with us.  I do have to ask one thing.  I thought your rib cooking temp was 250.  Did you change or did I have one too many beers(again)? ;) :D

sparky1

its always been 275º partner.  i have cooked alot at 225º and don't seem to like them that much at that temp. 
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

KyNola

Well that settles it Spark.  Once again I had one too many beers yet again!  Thank you my friend.  Nonetheless, I truly appreciate you sharing your methods with us.

muebe

So sparky if I do this on my traeger do you suggest I even run them on smoke mode at all? Or just straight to 275F?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

Thanks for the recipe - I get what "FL" but what is "FT"?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Quote from: GusRobin on August 03, 2011, 09:26:30 AM

Fat Tire...a great beer ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

FLBentRider

Quote from: muebe on August 03, 2011, 09:33:51 AM
Quote from: GusRobin on August 03, 2011, 09:26:30 AM

Fat Tire...a great beer ;)

So you can use FT to FL, or have an FT while you apply FL.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

I've got one question about Jan's Rub...What type of sugar do you use..Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar or Turbinado Sugar?  Thanks in advance!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

EDinNB

For me, Brown Sugar is my sweetener of choice unless I want my product to remain white, I love the color of Jan's with dark brown sugar.

EDinNB

FLBentRider

Quote from: rcger on August 09, 2011, 02:25:52 PM
I've got one question about Jan's Rub...What type of sugar do you use..Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar or Turbinado Sugar?  Thanks in advance!

I've made it with all three. I like it with the Brown or Turbinado.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quote from: rcger on August 09, 2011, 02:25:52 PM
Our original recipe used plain white sugar but use whatever sugar you like best.

Jan's husband KyNola :D

Raymillsus

I made a batch of Jans Rub and made a shoulder. I actually slathered it in YM and then the Jans. Everyone that was here said it was the best BBQ they had ever tasted. So I just wanted to thank everyone for making me look like I know what I was doing. 18hrs to do 9.6 lbs and the bone pulled right out of the shoulder meat.

CDN Smoker

Q: sparky1, when you are at the foil step you are adding butter, brown sugar and honey but no other liquid. Why?

All of what I have read so far is you add apple juice or something and this is where you get the slight steaming to tenderize the ribs.

I am doing BB ribs today and I will go with a combination as I am cooking for friends. I will add all your ingredients but also add a slight amount of the apple juice (¼ cup or less) to ensure the ribs are done before game time.

I would like at some time like to discuss your method more. ;D
Take Care
Just trying to be a better Smoker