Praising Jan's Rub

Started by EDinNB, July 18, 2011, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

great thread, definitely checking out Jan's Rub!

Just started doing ribs this summer, had always been rattled to try them as I always thought they were difficult to cook tender. So far the slow rolling boil then on the BBQ has been awesome, want to try the Bradley now.

With Sparkey's Recipe....does glue refer to mustard? All I can put "French's" too. Probably a dumb question and your welcome to those of you I've just provided a laugh for! lol  ;D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

devo

The glue can be other things like olive oil. The mustard of your choice just gives the rub someplace to stick to.

classicrockgriller

FYI!

Tuesday is Jan's Birthday and all you Jan's Rub users need to

post in her Happy Birthday post and Thank Her.

She is a Sweet Lady.

chiroken

Quote from: devo on September 26, 2011, 07:48:26 PM
The glue can be other things like olive oil. The mustard of your choice just gives the rub someplace to stick to.
Thanks devo, makes sense!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

EDinNB

it isn't that I have anything against CYM, but I prefer something I know will be neutral...therefore I only use canola oil as my glue....but then again, I'm still classed as a smokin' rookie :)

EDinNB

rdevous

KyNola and Jan...and anyone else....I used 2 Tbsp of coarse grind black pepper from my pepper mill when making up a batch of Jan's Rub.  The lemon pepper I use is coarser ground then table black pepper.  I was wondering it makes any difference in the outcome not having the coarse ground lemon pepper and table ground pepper combination?

To tell a tale on myself...For longer then I want to admit, I have been searching every grocery store, Bed Bath and Beyond and Bass Pro type stores I have gone in looking for this amazing Jan's Dry Rub everyone here is talking about....needless to say I FINALLY saw the light and downloaded it from the recipe site.....not only am I going to have a V8...I'm sprinkling some Jan's Dry Rub in it!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

FLBentRider

I have done many a butt "glue free" and they turn out great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Just a thin glaze of molasses will do the trick as well.

KyNola

Quote from: rdevous on October 11, 2011, 12:08:56 PM
KyNola and Jan...and anyone else....I used 2 Tbsp of coarse grind black pepper from my pepper mill when making up a batch of Jan's Rub.  The lemon pepper I use is coarser ground then table black pepper.  I was wondering it makes any difference in the outcome not having the coarse ground lemon pepper and table ground pepper combination?
To tell a tale on myself...For longer then I want to admit, I have been searching every grocery store, Bed Bath and Beyond and Bass Pro type stores I have gone in looking for this amazing Jan's Dry Rub everyone here is talking about....needless to say I FINALLY saw the light and downloaded it from the recipe site.....not only am I going to have a V8...I'm sprinkling some Jan's Dry Rub in it!!!   ::) ::) ::)

Ray
Ray, only difference I could see with the corase ground black pepper is the Rub might have a bit more pepper "bite" to it but I would  like that.

As for finding Jan's Rub commercially, I wish you had found it too! ;) ;D

Sailor

I gots to fess up.  I had never tried Jan's rub even after all of the praise that it receives.  This weekend I decided to make up a batch as I was going to smoke a brisket.  Went to Wally World to get a packer and all they had was Exel select but you have to do what you have to do so I bought it.  Gave it the old bend test and pick out the best that they had.  Needed a few spices for the rub so I picked them up as well.  Wanted to eat at 6pm on Sunday as we had guests coming over. At 9pm I pulled the brisket from the fridge and rubbed it with Jan's rub and let it warm to room temp.  Brisket went on at 11pm for 2 1/2 hrs of Hickory.  At 3pm Sunday the brisket was ready for FTC.  Had some sticky on the basket with some meat and did a taste test.  Scooped some of the sticky up for my wife to test and she took 1/2 of it and I walked away and then she yelled "come back here I want the rest".  Now she is my official taste tester and with that remark I figure we have a winner.  At 6pm the guests arrive and I start cutting the brisket.  Still very hot!.  A line formed behind me wanting a sample.  I am hearing oooo's and awwww's this is good.  I thought I made a good rub and that is what I always have used and got great reviews however I heard comments that this brisket was the best that I have made.  Same cooking method and same amount of smoke as what I always do.  Only difference was the rub. 

Bottom line is that I don't think I will be using my own rub again when I can use Jan's rub.  Jan's rub ROCKS the house.  If you have not tried Jan's rub I do recommend that you take the time to whip up a batch and try.  2 thumbs up!

Yeah, I know.......no pics it didn't happen.  Got so busy that I just plumb forgot to to take photos.  Sorry about that gang.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

Once again, a big THANK YOU to each of you for your kind comments.  Jan and I had no idea that the Rub would be so popular when we posted the recipe on the recipe site.  We just wanted to contribute something to sort of thank all of the contibutors that came before us.  We knew we liked the Rub but had no idea is would be so well received.

viper125

Well if I was you i'd check in to patenting it and possibly selling it. A friend of mine use to make hot sauce and hot relish and bring to work. It was real popular. Now its in the stores and he's making money from it. Still on a small scale but going strong. In today's times I'm surprised someone hasn't already.
Also any one that likes this rub may like shacks barbecue also. Me and all I have given it to has. Plus it blends with Jan's so well it might have been created for it. It also on the net and a free recipe you can down load. He only asks for your feelings on it after trying.
I have continued with these two since I found them and see no reason to change. I have tried others before but your's stands out far a head of the rest for us.
Can't say thanks enough, and have got a lot of new people using after trying!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Jim O

Is Sparky's 250# rib recipe available ? (please Sparky) !!

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

crapshooter

How long will Jan's rub keep in the refrigerator?

squirtthecat

Quote from: crapshooter on November 03, 2011, 02:03:32 PM
How long will Jan's rub keep in the refrigerator?

Just the dry rub itself?  I had a huge container in the garage for almost a year before I used it all up.