Finally got my hands on a butt!

Started by azamuner73, July 20, 2011, 05:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I'm going to go against the majority here but I would tie that thing together as best I could and put the whole thing in the smoker after trimming the fat cap away.  It weighs around 13 lbs so you will wind up with around 6-7 lbs of pulled pork.  Take the IT up to around 195 and it will pull nicely.  STC, Hal and I smoked 4 shoulders weighing an average of 20lbs each and they came out just fine.

azamuner73

I decided to cook it whole....4 hours of hickory smoke and IIRC, a total cooking time of over 13 hours.  I made a variation of Jan's rub in that I didn't have all of the ingredients (sage or onion salt) so I used onion powder.  I didn't really measure anything other than keeping ratios in mind and eyeballing it.  I used a mix of white and brown sugar.  All I can say is that it's a winner.

It turned out amazing and it was hard not to (pardon the pun) pig out before bed.  I have some photos to post once I get them off my camera.   :)

azamuner73

Well, better late than never, I finally have the pics to share.

Here she is in all her glory.

And after some work with the bear claws.

OU812

squirtthecat

azamuner73

Yeah it turned out ridiculously good.  I see why lots of folks like Jan's rub.

KyNola

Quote from: azamuner73 on August 02, 2011, 08:11:27 AM
Yeah it turned out ridiculously good.  I see why lots of folks like Jan's rub.
Thanks Azamuner(my wife is Jan).  That turned out beautiful.  Great job!

Tenpoint5

Yes Sir you have a really nice looking Butt there!!! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

That is some very good looking Canadian pulled pork!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

azamuner73

Thanks guys!

When it turns out this good, I can see how this hobby can get out of hand.  I froze about half of that pulled pork and I'm already thinking about what to do next.   :)

squirtthecat

Quote from: azamuner73 on August 02, 2011, 10:40:28 AM
Thanks guys!

When it turns out this good, I can see how this hobby can get out of hand.  I froze about half of that pulled pork and I'm already thinking about what to do next.   :)

Pretty soon you'll find your freezer 1/2 full of meat you bought on sale, and 1/2 full of the rest of it smoked...

And then you start thinking about buying another freezer.