Broke Hinge: A few weeks old, getting ready for 3rd smoke

Started by Dean405, July 22, 2011, 05:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean405

mmmmm.... not happy. Bottom hinge is all plastic and very delicate... be ware.

Dean405

Went to call Bradley today just before I left the office and they were already closed so I didn't get a chance to order any parts.

It looks like multiple heating element and hinge failures are systemic on this model. Keeping a spare heating element looks like SOP if you don't want to get caught with no heat in the middle of a smoke. I see that others have resorted to replacing the element with a non Bradley version. Is there any way to fix this hinge where it wont fail??? Maybe reinforce the new plastic corner that has the hinge pin with something like liquid nails to add strength. I can see by looking at my nearly new broke hinge that this was never intended to be a strong design. After looking at the return policy where I bought it, looks like I am stuck with it so now I am trying to make the best out of it.

muebe

I just reinforced the door and hinge on my OBS. I had major cracking and the hinge pin fell out of place when I removed the door. So I cut a piece of ridgid aluminum and adapted it so the hinge actually attaches to the aluminum piece and not the plastic...

The stick I used...

Bottom of door panel with cracking..

Aluminum strip installed...

Front view of OBS with strip installed...

View from below door...

Close up of hinge installed...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Dean405

The door I have doesn't have that metal hinge support on the bottom (but it does on top). It just has a pin that stick up into the bottom of the door.

I am a little upset that I am having to re-design a product that I have had for 5 weeks. I would love to find out there is a simple fix. While I am probably capable of designing all kinds of elaborate fixes, I really don't want to put a lot of time into it.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

Quote from: Dean405 on July 25, 2011, 06:02:21 PM
The door I have doesn't have that metal hinge support on the bottom (but it does on top). It just has a pin that stick up into the bottom of the door.

I am a little upset that I am having to re-design a product that I have had for 5 weeks. I would love to find out there is a simple fix. While I am probably capable of designing all kinds of elaborate fixes, I really don't want to put a lot of time into it.

Sorry I don't have a fix for the DBS because I do not own one. Seems the OBS has a more durable lower door hinge though. I assume the cracking is from the heat because my upper plastic trim on the door does not have a single crack in it(hotter closer to the element).
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Dean405 on July 25, 2011, 06:02:21 PM

I know how you feel. When I purchase something new I expect not to have any problems. When you install your new door that Bradley will send you that should fix the problem. My take on the door problem is that it is being damage during shipment. Most door failures that have been posted on this forum have occurred shortly after the smoker has been first used, or members have notice slight damage early on prior to the door breaking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

The cracking on my door was not there when I first got my OBS. My OBS has been in a cabinet outside on my covered patio deck since I bought it. It is out of direct sunlight. The cracks started to appear after several smokes in. The front plastic panel and bottom door plastic panel had several cracks in them. I did make some repairs with gorilla glue but then others would appear.

My thought is that they are using a plastic that does not have any give. There will be slight flexing of the metal on the door and unit when it heats up/cools down. And the weight of the OBS is being supported at the front by the plastic panel(should be supported at the cabinet bottom like the back). IMHO this is causing the cracking. Also I do have very hot summers 110F and very cool winters 20F so this might play a factor in the cracking...and my OBS is always outside. I still love my OBS even with it's problems. I chose to repair the problem myself instead of ordering a new front door and bottom plastic panel. I also understand why others would be upset.

Habanero Smoker

I also have the OBS; the cracking of the faceplate is common and I feel it is a stress crack. That is why I installed the front feet modification. This August I will have my smoker for seven years. It has been outside 24/7, in that time it has been blown off my deck and took a 6 foot plunge, and fell off my cart and took another 3 foot plunge. The bottom door area where the hinge is inserted bent, but the plastic at the bottom remains intact. I also have had the dual element for over a year, and I don't have any of the damage you describe. It's possible Bradley could have change to a different grade of plastic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dean405

Well, I called last week and was told they would warranty the door. At the time the guy told me I should have it in a couple of days, which I thought was a little too generous on the shipping time. Today I called to get the tracking number since it had been a week and was told it has not even shipped yet. They told me it would be at least 2 more weeks.

At this point I regret having bought the Bradley. I have replaced the heating element and now I am waiting on the door and the thing is about 6 weeks old.

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Dean405 on August 01, 2011, 10:59:19 AM
Well, I called last week and was told they would warranty the door. At the time the guy told me I should have it in a couple of days, which I thought was a little too generous on the shipping time. Today I called to get the tracking number since it had been a week and was told it has not even shipped yet. They told me it would be at least 2 more weeks.

At this point I regret having bought the Bradley. I have replaced the heating element and now I am waiting on the door and the thing is about 6 weeks old.

Hence my starting this thread but I got blasted for asking. I went and looked at a DBS at a local store and felt that some of the construction was cheaply made given the $450.00 price tag.

After posting here I feel comfortable buying one and also feel that it will meet my needs much more than anything else on the market.

That also being said, I should not have to make mods to my $450.00 smoker to fix factory engineering flaws.

Bullelk34

I had the same problem yesterday, but with another heating elemant failure as well. I had to finish 20 lbs of elk jerky in the oven inside.... I spoke with customer service today and they're sending the repair parts out, but dang!!! I really love the results when using my Bradley, it beats my other smokers hands-down. But I hate the fact that it's constantly breaking down. Two elements and a door failure in 6 months- not a good track record, especially for such an expensive unit. I think Bradley is missing the boat here, they have a great product but they build it way too flimsy. I know my unit was banged up a bit when I bought it new, had to bend a hinge to get the door to work. They need to beef up the cabinet and also the packaging. I imagine this will be a perpetual problem, so I envision eventually scrapping the cabinet for a homemade one. Either that or going with a different smoker altogether. Anyone have any pix of homemade cabinets?