Hello from CT

Started by Patrick_CT, August 15, 2011, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick_CT

I am starting to see a trend that when I find a place with a ton of knowledge, the same people are already there  :D ... i see a lot of references to this group from other sites but this is my first time venturing over here.  I have a lot to learn and the curve seems to be steep, and addictive.  A little about me, I have been traveling for work for many years and only staying in one place for about 2 years at a time. Equal time in Europe (Holland) and the US for the last 10 years. I love to cook and now that we have settled in CT for the long term, I bought a pellet grill/smoker. My family and I are learning all about how to make much better tasting food, mostly through the forums. We are hooked! There are a lot of good cooks that post both the technique and the recipes to recreate the meals... I need bigger pants...

I see a lot of info here about jerky and sausage making that I am very interested in.

So I may have a lot of questions and I hope that you all do not mind another pellet guy hanging around!
MAK 2 star. And looking for new toys!

ghost9mm

Welcome Patrick...to a really nice forum, we have some very knowledgeable people here on this forum that will go out of their way to try and help you anyway they can...here are a couple of links that will help you....

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=748#post748
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

welcome to the forum,

lots of good information and knowledge here, ask questions and some one will chime in with what they  have done and others   with variations on a theme 

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. So what questions do ya got.
Mike

KyNola

Welcome Patrick.  I run a Bradley 4 rack digital and a MAK 2 Star General, the ultimate pellet burner.  Any questions you may have, just fire away.

To be fair to the folks at Bradley, you might consider asking your questions in the Non-Bradley Equipment section of the forum.

We will all still be there to help you.

Patrick_CT

Quote from: KyNola on August 15, 2011, 07:59:29 PM
I run a Bradley 4 rack digital and a MAK 2 Star General

what do you use the Bradley for that the MAK does not do? I am now thinking that my MAK needs a friend, but I would need to justify it...
MAK 2 star. And looking for new toys!

squirtthecat

Welcome from another Patrick..   ;)

Personally, I think the Bradley excels as a cold smoker for smoking cheese, spices/salt, sausages, etc.   You can provide clean smoke with the smoke generator, yet leave the cabinet heater off to maintain < 80° temps. (sometimes with the help of a pan of ice)

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Patrick_CT on August 16, 2011, 04:42:04 AM

what do you use the Bradley for that the MAK does not do? I am now thinking that my MAK needs a friend, but I would need to justify it...
Patrick,
As mentioned the Bradley excels at cold smoking. It also holds much lower temps than what the pellet poopers can maintain. Such as when curing a ham and you want to hold 120º for 12 hours then smoke at 140º for 8 hours then 160-170º for another 8-10 hours. Most of your sausage projects will also need to maintain these lower temps over an extended time period. The pellet poopers have trouble at these temp ranges.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 16, 2011, 07:33:01 AM
Patrick,
As mentioned the Bradley excels at cold smoking. It also holds much lower temps than what the pellet poopers can maintain. Such as when curing a ham and you want to hold 120º for 12 hours then smoke at 140º for 8 hours then 160-170º for another 8-10 hours. Most of your sausage projects will also need to maintain these lower temps over an extended time period. The pellet poopers have trouble at these temp ranges.
My two friends, Chris and Pat have answered your question perfectly.

NePaSmoKer

Good MAK friends  ;D

smoker pete

Welcome to the Forum Patrick.  Good to see another MAK owner joining the Membership.  I for one started with an OBS and added my MAK due in large to the Members on this Forum.  Yes, I've seen your posts on other forums.  You'll love it here ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl