My OBS door fix...

Started by muebe, July 23, 2011, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Ok so after taking a closer look at my OBS door I found several cracks in the lower plastic panel and there was cracking around the hinge. So I decided to take action!

I removed the door. You can see the cracking on mine. The hinge peg actually fell out after removing the door due to the cracking.

Here is one of the issues. The whole support for the door lies in the upper and lower hinge. The lower hinge attaches to a peg that is installed into the plastic panel. The panel cracks and there goes the door.

So I had a leftover strip of rigid aluminum that was just the right size.

Here is a picture of the aluminum strip/hinge installed to the bottom of the door. The aluminum strip is attached to the plastic piece as a whole. The hinge is actually attached to the aluminum strip and not the plastic panel.

Here is a picture of the door closed.

A view from below with the door open.

And a close up of the hinge.

The door opens and closes just as good as before. It is level and seals fine. My hope is that I have resolved the problems with the plastic between the aluminum bottom panel and the aluminum strip on the bottom of the door ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

viper125

Looks like a good fix and possibly a new mod. This seems to be a frequent problem,maybe no more. Good thinking Muebe!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

mikecorn.1

Nice fix. Love it when a plan comes together.
Mike

muebe

Thanks guys. I hope this helps out others with the same problem. I was surprised how close my door really was from falling off. I advise people to check the plastic on the door for cracking...especially near the hinge ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SamuelG

Thanks Muebe.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Mr Walleye

Excellent ingenuity Muebe!

Great Job!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ghost9mm

Really a good job Muebe...and you can get that aluminum strip at most hardware stores, most have it in all sizes...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Muebe is the entire strip held to the door with just those two screws in to the broken plastic bottom? Seems if the plastic was cracking the two screws wouldn't last long. Also is that peg just driven into a hole you drilled or hows it help in your strip. Im thinking along the same lines but thought id use angle and extend it up the in side of the door. Maybe be some more area to fasten to.

Figured Id just renew this thread as with the pics it helps a lot.
Inside setup.

muebe

Viper I believe that I reinforced the plastic bottom of the door with a layer of epoxy across it before installing the plate. The screws are going into the plastic. The mod is almost 1 1/2 years old and is still going strong. No problems with the door.

My main problem was the hinge pin. It was installed input the plastic of the door and that was cracking. The hinge pin was not re-used. A small bolt and nut was used to replace the broken hinge pin.

viper125

Well I see the hinge pin is a star press. I was thing the right size hole going into the aluminum may allow you to tap it in snugly. I will save this discussion because right now seems like it will be January till i do it. Unless it quit sealing during the holiday smoke and makes it a mandatory fix! ::) But thanks for the pics. I like to see pics and think it out before tearing in when I can. Shouldn't be hard. But thought since I have to maybe i can make a quick fix or pattern that any average Joe can do easily. Maybe a downloadable pattern or template with holes sizes and shape. So after the holiday would be the best time.
Inside setup.

viper125

Oh just to be clear that looks easy enough but with a template some one could cut with a swa and have ready before tearing it apart,
Inside setup.