BDS Storage

Started by 6speedy3, July 24, 2011, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6speedy3

Hello, I am a newbie and am wondering about storing my smoker. I bought the cover for it. I know you aren't supposed to store them outside. However, I am thinking about buying a Rubbermade Model 4746 storage unit. I would put it on the deck. Would there be any problem with this. I live in Iowa so it would be in there in all seasons. It is supposed to be rain and snow proof. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

squirtthecat

I have my OBS in a Suncast storage shed.  Works great and you can smoke year round in it. (just crack the doors open to let the smoke out)

ghost9mm

I sure don't see a problem with what you want to do...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Habanero Smoker

Hi 6speedy3;
Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, you can do that. I'm in New York, and have had my smoker outdoors 24/7 for seven years this August and have only used a cover to protect it. Though be it, I'm now on my third cover.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

6speedy3

Well Habanero, now I have another option, or at least a little time before I spend another 300 bucks.  I imagine New York gets as cold and as hot as we get. 100deg F to -20deg F. :) Thanks all for your in-put.

I am going to smoke some almonds today. Yum :)

squirtthecat

I put mine on an old cabinet (a friend was demolishing his kitchen so I traded him some ribs for it).

Makes it easier to load/unload up at chest level.

Habanero Smoker

The covers work well. Summer in my area will get up to 100°F, but in the last 10 years the lows rarely get below -10°F and that is rare.

In cold weather make sure that the smoker is completely cold before placing the cover back on. If the smoker is warmer then the cover, condensation will form between the cover and smoker. When that condensation freezes you can rip the cover trying to remove it (that is what happen to my second cover). Do not keep it under an overhang. If ice builds up on the roof then dislodges, it can hit your smoker and do some damage (that is how I lost my first cover). After a snow storm, clear the snow away from the bottom of the smoker as soon as possible. Also the covers are prone to fading, but I haven't notice any UV damage. One other thing, before using the cover I turn them inside out and use a seam sealer on all seams. You can fine that at any sporting goods store, or even Wal-Mart.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sparky1

OMG, you have a closet for your bradley so you can smoke in the rain.  lol, you ppl really love your bradleys.  i like it.   8)
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

ccfdmike

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 25, 2011, 05:48:33 AM

I put mine on an old cabinet (a friend was demolishing his kitchen so I traded him some ribs for it).

Makes it easier to load/unload up at chest level.

Great cabinet! I almost thought you converted an outhouse when I first saw it! :)