Cold Smoking?

Started by Midnightsun, February 24, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnightsun

Kust picked up a Bradly SS digital 4 rack on sale at Costco. I am not new to smoking and have been using the propane burner/woodchip style unit for a couple of years however I do not use it that often so not much experience. Never actually tried cold smoking yet.

My question is regarding cold smoking of cheese. I played around with the unit just to test functionality and see I can use just the puck heater and not have to use the main heater. That being said, does this little puck hater real heat up the entire cabinet enough to warrant the use of the cold smoke attachment? I do live in Canada so wintertime would definitely be no problem however what about a standard cooler summer day at 70F? Thanks in advance.

Fernslinger

You should be OK without the cold smoker attachment. Keep an eye on cabinet temps then add ice to the water bowl if needed and crack the door. Many of us cold smoke cheese without the cold smoke adapter.

Midnightsun

Thanks for the info. I may just go nuts and do a steel box conversion as I have access to plate and welding machines. Will post results if I do.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Midnightsun on February 24, 2012, 03:28:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I may just go nuts and do a steel box conversion as I have access to plate and welding machines. Will post results if I do.
Nice. Nottin like making your own, the way you want it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike