Just got my first smoker

Started by Sopranos, March 01, 2012, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sopranos

Yipieeeeee, just got my first smoker ever, oh I'm so exited like a small child...

Anyways, I'm new here also so be patient with me please, I might not know all the terms yet but let me tell you I LOVE smoked meat, or anything smoked really for that matter, as long as it's edible LOL

So, for my first thing what can you recommend me to try smoking? I can see some say that Pork baby RIBS would not be good for beginners like me. I used to do them in the oven for 2-3 hrs than on BBQ to get that color and some "smoke"...or should I do salmon or chicken maybe?

Thanks in advance, off I go reading more on this thing how to set it up etc....

Keymaster

Welcome Sopranos, Just pick somethin you like and then ask how to do it. You'll be an expert in no time.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. How bout some chicken breasts wrapped with bacon. Trick is that you have to wrap the whole breast. Maybe some ribs or a butt or some abts or some moink balls or some....... Heck, pick something and like was said before start a thread and ask away. Remember to post pics or it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

welcome aboard and enjoy, i would  start off with some  baby back  ribs or a  pork  shoulder.. and remember  take your time.,,,,  take your   time .. t a k e  y o u r  t i me... remember you are cooking at a  lower temperature  which translate to a  longer time.

if you  do ribs follow this idea

box temp is 225 f
3 hours of hickory or  mesquite
2 hours  pulled and wrapped in foil with a  splash of apple juice or cider
1 hour back in the  smoker  or oven at  225

then  enjoy  ,, a pork  shoulder  just  season it and in the  smoker at 225 till an it of 165 - 170 to  slice .. or 195- 200 for  pulled  pork

IT= Internal Temp   

SiFumar

Welcome!  I did a whole chicken for my first smoke,  just so we could eat the same day. Takes a few hours with vent wide open.  Pork butt was 2nd smoke for overnight.  Both are easy and pretty much problem free.  Having a meat thermometer helps with any cook.  Good Luck with any choice you make....feel free to ask questions...as you will always find someone here to help or point you in the right direction!

Sopranos

Thanks for warm welcomes. Will either do chicken wrapped in bacon or ribs.. Pics coming up for sure... Very exited, thanks again...

DTAggie

drunknimortal

Do a pork butt or brisket, something that takes awhile. It will be worth the wait.

KyNola

Ribs would not be my first choice for your first experience with the Bradley.  I would consider bacon wrapped chicken breasts or even a whole chicken.  Consider doing a pork butt as they are very forgiving or even a piece of pork loin or pork tenderloins.

You need to get used to what your Bradley is going to do, how it is going to operate and all of its little learning curves.

Good luck no matter what you choose and welcome to the forum.  Lots of folks here more than willing to help out so just ask.

Georgia Chad

First off, welcome!

Second, get a meat thermometer.  It doesnt have to be all that fancy.  But it will rid you of almost any potential over/under cooked concerns.  Especially since these machines are not as thermally stable as you might think, without a PID (just start searchin').

Third, Boston Butt is maybe the easiest meat to make.  Definitely not the fastest, but very simple.  Chicken comes next, and you can usually be eating within 3-4 hours of plugging it in.  I would stay away from spare ribs for a while.  Baby Backs maybe, but spareribs are not as easy as they sound.  Ask me how I know  :'(

Fourth, most things you smoke will only need between 1-3 hours of smoke.  That is all. 

Finally, ENJOY!!  I got my BDS for X-mas and still use it several times a week!   ;D

Salmonsmoker

Welcome sopranos. By the responses so far,your first step is the butcher shop. ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.