Heating Elements keep failing after 3rd usage

Started by fivecoopers, July 25, 2011, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivecoopers

I got a 4 rack digital smoker for Chirstmas and and I can't get more than 3 uses out of it before the heating element fails.  My 3rd element just failed.  So I'm thinking maybe there is something else wrong.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Does anyone have anysuggestions on how to get more than 3-4 uses out of an element?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

When did you install the third element? There is a possibility that was still from the bad batch.

If you have a multimeter, you can remove the element and test it. A good element should read 27-32 ohms. If you get a good reading then the you could have another problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

WideGlideMike00

I'm in the same boat. 2 have failed already, very close in usage time. (Apx. 15-20 hrs. total time.)
I now have 10 hours on my 3rd element. Next brisket smoke will put it in the 20 hr range. <fingers crossed that this element hangs in there>

acaptvid

:(  Yes I also am in the same boat! On second element and the heater just quit on me after ten hours on pork Shoulder set at 220 degrees. Took it out and sure enough an open circuit across the terminals. Thinking about buying a few extra ones even though the unit is two months old!!  The people at Bradley are very nice but this is a problem that really stinks!!

mgsweeney99

This is only my first element with 15 hours on it so I hope Bradley has this fixed!!

ffrcoupe

Quote from: mgsweeney99 on August 21, 2011, 06:39:43 AM
This is only my first element with 15 hours on it so I hope Bradley has this fixed!!

Buy a spare. :)

TexanSmoker

You HAVE to be kidding me?  During my 4th smoke I noticed the temp dropped drastically.  The unit now will not heat.  Are you guys seriously telling me this things burns through elements every 20 hours or so?  I'm a thorough shopper and researched the crap out of the bradley and didn't hear anything about this problem.  Booo.

So, is this some defect that is fixed in different rev products?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TexanSmoker on August 24, 2011, 05:06:08 PM
You HAVE to be kidding me?  During my 4th smoke I noticed the temp dropped drastically.  The unit now will not heat.  Are you guys seriously telling me this things burns through elements every 20 hours or so?  I'm a thorough shopper and researched the crap out of the bradley and didn't hear anything about this problem.  Booo.

So, is this some defect that is fixed in different rev products?

Hi TexanSmoker;
Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

The company that supplied the elements for the Bradley had a design flaw and many smokers were manufactured with these flawed elements. Bradley switch suppliers and that problem was resolved. So call Bradley and they will send you a new element.

I'm surprised that there are still a few out there. But; there is more than one problem that can cause the element not to work. Without knowing what model you have I can't get specific, but the following link will help you troubleshoot.
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

porterdriver

I'm in possession of a couple of 'spare' elements that I bought YardandPool.com to counteract the fuseable link that passes for a heating element.  I just had my third element fail in a year.  Is there anyway to look at elements and see if they are part of the old 'bad' batch?  I hate to spend a couple of hours changing out an element just to have it fail in the next 20-30 hours.  I also hate the idea of spending $25 each to replace elements.

I know that it is element failure not any other electrical issue.  My unit is BDS 6-rack, with dual element and fan mods.  I use an Auber PID for smoker control.

beefmann

thoes elements are pricy at $ 25 a pop. and i run a 900 watt for 5  years and never had an issue, then again i do have a spare

TexanSmoker

So I followed the trouble-shooting FAQ and ended up popping the element out and sure enough it registers as open on my multimeter.  Put a call in to Bradley support and three days later I have a new element (which Ohms in at 29.8).

In the interest of trying to find out the root of whether I indeed had a "bad batch" element and the new one is not, here are the numbers imprinted on the element:

BAD: DF 120V 500W 1010 GYO Series
NEW: E217286 DF 120V 500W GYO 1104

So, indeed they seem different, and the new one also has some sort of logo imprinted before the numbers, but I can't make it out.  Its design reminds me of a cattle branding iron.  Perhaps if more people post the numbers on their bad ones and good ones we can develop a pattern to assure smoking success!

mikecorn.1

Imma gonna look at mine to see what mine has on it.  I've had mine 2 years and never any problems. I ordered it thru walmart   

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Rubberdown

Quote from: TexanSmoker on August 30, 2011, 06:11:10 PM
So I followed the trouble-shooting FAQ and ended up popping the element out and sure enough it registers as open on my multimeter.  Put a call in to Bradley support and three days later I have a new element (which Ohms in at 29.8).

In the interest of trying to find out the root of whether I indeed had a "bad batch" element and the new one is not, here are the numbers imprinted on the element:

BAD: DF 120V 500W 1010 GYO Series
NEW: E217286 DF 120V 500W GYO 1104

So, indeed they seem different, and the new one also has some sort of logo imprinted before the numbers, but I can't make it out.  Its design reminds me of a cattle branding iron.  Perhaps if more people post the numbers on their bad ones and good ones we can develop a pattern to assure smoking success!

Well this stinks, I literally just opened up and assembled my new unit and it has your "bad" heating element part # on it, so now what, do I risk putting a ton of food in it and have it fail or will Bradley send me an updated element even though this element is un-used?

classicrockgriller

First of all Welcome to the forum.

I would do just what you are thinking.

Call and tell them what you have posted.

No one wants you to go down in the middle of a smoke.

In the mean time you can use what you have to season the smoker

and do a small smoke/cook to get acquainted with the smoker.

Rubberdown

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 12, 2011, 06:34:51 PM
First of all Welcome to the forum.

I would do just what you are thinking.

Call and tell them what you have posted.

No one wants you to go down in the middle of a smoke.

In the mean time you can use what you have to season the smoker

and do a small smoke/cook to get acquainted with the smoker.

Thanks for the welcome!

Email has already been sent to Bradley with a link to this thread, hope to get a new style element with no problems. And great idea using it to season the smoker, I will likely do that tomorrow and then read another 100 recipes and then start shopping for some fish to smoke.