Heating Elements keep failing after 3rd usage

Started by fivecoopers, July 25, 2011, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubberdown

Well....this is dissheartening, there is no way for me to get a new element unless I have a problem with the one I have. Although I understand the point of view of the manufacturer, it sure does suck that to be "safe" I have to go out and purchase spare parts for a brand new product just to be sure I dont go down and waste a ton of food part way through a smoke. Now, I know Canadian Tire sells the smoker, but I have NO clue if they offer parts for them, I will look but I highly doubt it.

devo

I bought a spare from bradley for 13 bucks and it was shipped to me in three days. Cheep insurance if you ask me.

Rubberdown

Thats the other thing, I asked if they could sell me one and if so I'd like to order, my response was that my local Bradley supplier will have them for me, so if Crappy tire is my only local supplier, theres a good chance they dont sell parts for them, thats just the way Canadian tire is, so why couldnt she give me a part # and price for one to be purchased directly from Bradley? I'll check at CT and see but if not, I'll do some digging on line and I'm sure I'll be able to find one locally somwhere some how ;)

KyNola

Contact Bryan at www.yardandpool.com  He has Bradley heating elements he can sell you and will make arrangements to ship to you in Canada.  Bryan is a member of the forum and a trusted vendor.

Sorry for all your trouble when all you are trying to do is avert a possible problem.

mtgrease

My element went out during the bradleys 4th use.  I called bradley and they are sending me a new one no charge.  Since new I have been having problems getting it up to temps, hopefully this is the fix.  I live in Montana and am not sure the 500w element is going to cut it in the winter.  We will see.  If not I will upgrade to a 900w or two 500w elements.

HotNsmoky

Quote from: TexanSmoker on August 30, 2011, 06:11:10 PM
So I followed the trouble-shooting FAQ and ended up popping the element out and sure enough it registers as open on my multimeter.  Put a call in to Bradley support and three days later I have a new element (which Ohms in at 29.8).

In the interest of trying to find out the root of whether I indeed had a "bad batch" element and the new one is not, here are the numbers imprinted on the element:

BAD: DF 120V 500W 1010 GYO Series
NEW: E217286 DF 120V 500W GYO 1104

So, indeed they seem different, and the new one also has some sort of logo imprinted before the numbers, but I can't make it out.  Its design reminds me of a cattle branding iron.  Perhaps if more people post the numbers on their bad ones and good ones we can develop a pattern to assure smoking success!

My element failed on 2/20/2012 after about 10 uses, with an average time of 5-6 hours per use.   Its the digital 4 rack purchased in Sept. of 2010, so over a year old.  The failed element number is "DF 120V 500W 2010 04 GYO Series", so it looks like the older one.  I have a new one on the way and will let you know what number shows up.

lumpyk

My wife went out this morning to start our Bradley to make ribs for this evening dinner.  She called me at work saying it is on correctly and only at 56 degrees after an hour and a half.  I told well its pretty cold out give it time, I told her.  An hour later temperature starts to fall, must be the third or fourth element I have been through!  I have had the original one, two extra I had bought from yard and pool, and the replacement Bradley sent me. I will check for sure when I get home if this one went up.  I have had it with these smokers!  Yes I loved mine when it works but don't want to change elements everytime I smoke, as this last one only lasted one use.  Yes Bradley customer service has been good but one can only take so much.  So what everytime you buy smoking pucks need to buy an element too?  I am seriously considering selling my Bradley and PID and getting a treager.  >:(

TedEbear

Have you done an ohm reading on the bad elements after you replaced them?  If your replacements were during the height of the bad batch that were circulating around last year then you just kept getting bad ones to replace bad ones from the same batch.

A bad element will read "infinity" with a multimeter when not connected on both ends to the Bradley. One of mine went out last year soon after I added a second element.  I bought another one and it has been OK since then.

lumpyk

I have tested everyone.  I have gotten them from different places.  As well as when ordered they were on back order when I needed new ones due to the fact that's when they were going through the bad batch.  Gonna try ordering two more from yard and pool.  If they go out I will be done with it.

viper125

If your that fed up may be a good time to do the 900 watt mod. So far haven't seen a problem. And you don't need ti even fool with those. Personally im running two 500 with no problem. I think some of the bad ones still out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

lumpyk

Funny you say that Viper, I was looking at that last night.  Figured my warranty is up just debating on which to do the 900 watt or go to the duel 500 watt.  found the mod for the duel 500 watt, but not for the 900 watt.  Not really sure which to go with yet.  As I am thinking if the 500 watts are burning up why do i want to put two of them in, just my thoughts on that.  Also looking at adding the blower as well. 

viper125

Well I run the 2 500 watts, but then I'm one of the lucky ones. I've never had one blow. But I can understand too,if I had that many I probably would be Leary also. I think If I had I'd call Bradley's direct and explain,I've had this many go out. Could you send me two and make sure their from the new batch because I've about had it. They may even cut the cost you never know. I would also if I did the dual,go with the switch, I did. If one goes out you can shut it off and go with the other. Also you need a PID to run a hotter setup. So if your PID should quit working (mine did once) then you can just shut off the extra one and keep smoking. Just my suggestion. My biggest reason for going this way is I always have one element working. I didn't know about just using one 900..
Now this is just my opinion. I'm sure others will speak up also. That's why this place is so great.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.