Another newbie to bradley, not to smoking

Started by alaskadan, July 27, 2011, 12:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaskadan

Hello everybody, I found the bradley smoker last week after 10 years of smoking the Alaska way. Which is hunting Alder by the roadside, charcoal bed and feeding/adjusting for the next 8 hours. I do native style cold smoking of Kings, Reds, and Silvers, and I have a couple of recipes and techniques I'd like to share. As well as learn how to smoke my moose and caribou. I live in Dillingham, in Bristol Bay Alaska for the last 25 years, and have lived subsistance lifestyle as much as I can stand. (I LOVE the bacon mushroom cheeseburgers at the Bay Diner) Three freezers at my house, one for fish, one for moose and caribou, and one for everything else. I built my smokehouse as a cold smoker, as that is mainly what I do with my fish, but can I do moose as well?
Looking forward to swapping recipes and techniques with everybody interested.
Dan

car54

Welcome,

It looks like you already have much experience. Looking forward to hearing and learning from you.
Don't be a stranger here.

Brad

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Welcome Dan.  Will look forward to the wealth of knowledge you have to share with us.

ghost9mm

Welcome to a really great forum....enjoy your smoker...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Dan
Looking forward to learning from your knowledge
Carolyn

aces-n-eights

Hi alaskadan!  Welcome!  I, too, look forward to hearing how you smoke fish.  I have done moose roasts in the past they turn out great.  Obviously they are lean and i have had good luck with a marinade before smoking or wrapping the roast with bacon to keep them from being too dry.  I take moose to about 160° internal temp - you can adjust to your tastes.  My nephew marinaded a moose roast in some red wine and other spices and it was very good.

We're over in Soldotna and just finished filling the freezers with sockeye.  C'mon silvers!

Again, welcome.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8