Bad Byrons Butt Rub (clone)

Started by Tenpoint5, July 27, 2011, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

TMB had asked if there was a clone out there in another thread. There was a link supplied that had a recipe to make a clone. Tonight my youngest yardape and I mixed us up a batch to be used on chicken tomorrow night hopefully. Here is what we got. We doubled the recipe it doesn't make a lot. Which is a good thing for experimenting.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub (clone)

1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
1 Teaspoon Paprika

Should look something like this (Minus the clumps of onion powder need to get some new stuff)

We didn't have any Chipotle Powder so we substituted with a little something we got from Nepas at the Smoke Out

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Looks good but the color is off a little.  Can't wait to try this one out, but it will be a few more days.  Kimmie has to go back to work soon so we have had the camper out at the camp site all week and looks like another week of camping is in my future
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Ka Honu

Quote from: TMB on July 29, 2011, 08:43:53 PMLooks good but the color is off a little. 

Possibly because of green jalapeno powder instead of red chipotle?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 29, 2011, 09:07:08 PM
Quote from: TMB on July 29, 2011, 08:43:53 PMLooks good but the color is off a little. 

Possibly because of green jalapeno powder instead of red chipotle?

Not to mention the blue tinting from the phone camera

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jiggerjams on August 03, 2011, 11:29:48 AM
Hey Chris,

How did it compare?

JJ

Waiting on Tommy for that one. I didn't have any BBBR on hand to test it against. I liked it if that counts for anything

TMB

Well I made some up and tested. It's a good rub but did not have the taste of BBBR.  I talked to Chris and we both think it's got to do with the peppers used.  We both used  jalapeno powder but I thig BBBR used smoked jalapeno powder and that would add more flavor to the mix.  I'll try and get some smoked powder and see also I' m going to try and send Chris some real BBBR so he can taste it 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

viper125

Well another possible homemade rub to try. So little time so much too do!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TMB on August 16, 2011, 07:51:33 AM
Well I made some up and tested. It's a good rub but did not have the taste of BBBR.  I talked to Chris and we both think it's got to do with the peppers used.  We both used  jalapeno powder but I thig BBBR used smoked jalapeno powder and that would add more flavor to the mix.  I'll try and get some smoked powder and see also I' m going to try and send Chris some real BBBR so he can taste it

Smoke jalapeno powder would be chipotle powder. You should be able to find that online, or in a nearby Hispanic store.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Well all the hispanic stores are not what they seem to be. I went into 3 of them in Reading, PA asking for jap and chipotle powder and they had no freaking clue what i was talking about  :o  Kept showing me dried peppers. WTH THATS NOT WHAT I WANT

I finally found jap powder at a local Amish meat processing/smokehouse store....Dont that beat all  ??? El Amish-o

OU812

I make my own chipotle powder with the jalapenos I grow, granted not all the peppers are red but tastes just the same.  ;D

I slice in half, put 4 hr Pecan on them, dehydrate then grind.

Just sayin.  :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OU812 on August 17, 2011, 09:11:12 AM
I make my own chipotle powder with the jalapenos I grow, granted not all the peppers are red but tastes just the same.  ;D

From what I understand pecan is the traditional smoke that is use. Occasionally I do the same when I can fine red jalapenos, or if someone donates them; I don't have a garden.  Now I just purchase it from Penzy's.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 17, 2011, 03:15:31 AM
....Dont that beat all  ??? El Amish-o

El Amish-o !  Now that is funny!

jbullard1

Pray tell how long this takes I have a bag of red Jap peppers just needing something done to them

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jbullard1 on August 17, 2011, 08:17:39 PM

Pray tell how long this takes I have a bag of red Jap peppers just needing something done to them
Jerry,
I would suggest 120ยบ for the duration of the smoke then bump up to 150 until they are dry with the VENT WIDE OPEN