Smoked German Potato Salad?

Started by adriandb, July 29, 2011, 06:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriandb

Anyone tried this? Anyone tried smoking potatoes for any reason? I don't want the smoke to be overpowering, the dish should still be vinegar forward, but I'm planning on experimenting this weekend.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks.

3rensho

I've never smoked spuds but some homemade bacon would be great in that.  My wife, who is German, loves my bacon diced up in the potato salad when she makes some.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

OU812

I have smoked taters many times, they dont take on allot of smoke but you can tell they were smoked.

These I did with a batch of ribs, rubbed with EVOL and dusted with sea salt they got 3 hr of hickory.

Before.

After.

Cooked start to finish in the Bradley

adriandb

Haven't done any bacon and I'm hoping to make this tomorrow so that's probably out, but thanks for the tip.

I hadn't planned on smoking the potatoes whole because I didn't think it would impart enough flavor. My plan was to par boil and slice them as I normally would for German potato salad and then smoke the sliced potatoes. Exposing more surface area should allow for more smoke flavor. At that point I'll cook up the bacon, remove when crisp and chop. Add sliced white or yellow onion to the bacon fat and saute until caramelized. Reduce heat to med/low. Then add chopped bacon and potatoes to the pan and toss to coat/combine. Let the potatoes brown a bit and flip/stir to get all sides browned. Add a little pepper and serve warm. I'll try it out and report back with results.

Tenpoint5

Place 8 or 10 pieces of bacon with a little of your favorite rub above the taters while your smoking them. The drippings will help flavor the taters and you will have some extra smokey bacon to add to the Tater salad thus imparting more smoke flavor to the whole works.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

adriandb

What's better than a dish incorporating bacon? Incorporating more bacon! Thanks for the tip Tenpoint5

Habanero Smoker

If you follow OU812, there will be some smoke penetration, but also a fair amount deposited on the surface. When you cut the potatoes and mix them in with the rest of the ingredients, the smoke flavor will be infused throughout the dish. Just let is set long enough for the flavors to blend.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Sounds like a great idea.
I have never smoked potatoes but a friend of mine in CO raves about smoked yams that he gets at some restaurant there.
So you might be on to something :)
Carolyn

adriandb

I made it. It was awesome. I'll post specifics and pics a little later.

adriandb

So I used my standard German Potato Salad recipe, but after I parboiled the potatoes I smoked them. Some were smoked whole and some were sliced first to add surface area. I placed some bacon on the rack above the slices which added some bacony goodness to them. I then used those bacon slices in the potato salad. Oh, and I used Apple and Cherry wood for 2 hours.

I also did some almonds.

BEFORE

AFTER

DTAggie

So now I am wondering if I should try some smoked taters and bacon in CRG's cilantro tater salad?

OU812

Quote from: DTAggie on August 03, 2011, 08:48:42 PM
So now I am wondering if I should try some smoked taters and bacon in CRG's cilantro tater salad?

DO IT.

It is gooooooooood.  ;D

ghost9mm

Both of my granddaughters love smoked tatters, we use a fork on the whole potatoes and some we just quarter...yum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

adriandb

I'll definitely do it again, but I may play with different types of smoke.

rdevous

I love German Potato Salad.  Never tried it made from smoked potatoes.  Two friends and I run an Oktoberfest, usually the last Sunday in September at the Knights of Columbus Hall I belong to in Bowie Maryland.  We have salad with a homemade Rhineland dressing, bratwurst, knackwurst, German potato salad, braised red cabbage with juniper berries, dumplings with a hint of nutmeg and a dessert.  I always have Bill make extra German potato salad so I can take some home.  We use extra bacon and the resulting bacon grease.  I wish this Sunday was September 25th.......I want some German potato salad...YUM!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!