Does jerky need a marinade?

Started by Boosted98gsx, July 29, 2011, 09:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boosted98gsx

If I just wanted to make some peppered jerky, does it need to be marinaded? I want it to be simple mequite smoked peppered (cracked peppercorns) jerky.

Everything I've seen recommends a soy sauce marinade, which doesn't appeal to my taste buds.

Would someone recommend me a simple smoked peppered jerky recipe that tastes great?

Tenpoint5

Try substituting Dales Seasoning for the Soy sauce.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Boosted98gsx

Tenpoint5

You can get it here http://dalesseasoning.com/ or check your local Wal-Mart I know they have it on wally world dot com

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Boosted98gsx

All that stuff is is soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and MSG...

No thanks.

Anyone else with recommendations?

Tenpoint5

You know I have noticed that you have a tendency to NOT like the answers that folks give to your questions. You will probably soon find that folks wont answer your questions. Why answer them you wont be appreciative of their attempts to help you. You asked for something that tastes great. You got and answer. I am not looking to start a fight with you, I have just been around here for awhile and know how this is all going to work out. I want you and all of the others that come here to have an enjoyable time and get the most out of their cooking experience.

Boosted98gsx

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 29, 2011, 10:32:07 AM
You know I have noticed that you have a tendency to NOT like the answers that folks give to your questions. You will probably soon find that folks wont answer your questions. Why answer them you wont be appreciative of their attempts to help you. You asked for something that tastes great. You got and answer. I am not looking to start a fight with you, I have just been around here for awhile and know how this is all going to work out. I want you and all of the others that come here to have an enjoyable time and get the most out of their cooking experience.

I'm not starting a fight with you either, but I am wanting something that does not have soy sauce in it (and definitely not MSG).

Tenpoint5

Then you can try this one but drop the Soy sauce.

Beef Jerky recipe
2 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
1 Tbs. Onion powder
1 Tbs. Lemon pepper
1 Tbs. Oregano
1 Tbs. Thyme
½ Tbs. Cayenne
¼ Cup Dark brown sugar
½ Cup Soy Sauce
½ Cup Teriyaki sauce
½ Cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Jar (7oz.) Dynasty Spicy Hot Kung Pao Sauce
1 Can (7oz.) Chipotle chiles in adobo
1 Can (6oz.) Pineapple juice
3 Tbs. Liquid smoke

I usually mix all the marinade ingredients in a blender but my blender doesn't quite have the capacity so I leave out some of the liquid and add it later. I try to aim at having as little marinade left over as possible after placing the meat on the racks. I also have not used a cure or patted the meat dry. Also this does not use the smoker. Hence the liquid smoke.

Tenpoint5

I also got this one from a friend here on the forum

5lbs meat strips (any type cut you like)
4 T non-iodized salt
1 t cure #1
2 t cayenne pepper  If you want hotter double the, cayenne, chili pepper and chili powder.
2 t crushed chili pepper
2 t chili powder
2 t ground mustard (or seeds)
5 Cups corn syrup

Mix all the above together in a large bowl (except meat) mix very good and allow to set for 30 mins. Remix and then add meat strips. Use a glass or plastic bowl cover and put in fridge for 8 to 10 hrs. Stir this on the 5 hr mark if you can.

Next day do not rinse the strips, They will be sticky. Smoke at 150* with 1 hour 20 mins of smoke. The smoke will only get into the sweetness to a certain point, Adding a longer smoke will make the jerky taste like creosote. Bump heat to 170* being careful not to burn the sugar on the meat. Being this has allot of corn syrup in it the drying time can take anywhere from 6 to 24 hrs depending on how you like the jerky.  This recipe can also be done in a dehydrator at a temp of 150* until you are satisfied with the doneness.

Boosted98gsx

Well I made a batch

Stuff is awesome.

Marinade
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Soy sauce (i know)
Tablespoon molasses
Tablespoon salt
Tablespoon coarse ground peppercorns
1/2 cup wildflower honey

Blended that up, and added some more coarse peppercorns and let it soak for about 20 hrs. Then threw it in the smokehouse over mesquite.

It's some GOOOD stuff

wetzel1977

10.5 will steer u in the right direction !!You only live once Keep useing Soy we all have 2 die from something right!! LOL Have a good 1
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Tenpoint5