Cant beat the heat

Started by Coho_killa, November 14, 2005, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coho_killa

Hello people. I just got my BS and have been reading through the forums. I see that many of you are able to cold smoke at 55F but I can't seem to get anything below 95F. If I run the smoke generator with the unit outside ( almost freezing out now) and the heat element unplugged the unit heats to almost 100 F which is hot smoking temperature from what I have read. If I turn on the heat element just a tad with the smoke generator off I get well over 100F I want to do some cold smoking. Do I have to sepperate the smoke genrator and pipe in the smoke for this??

By the way the chehalis river is just starting to get good, its late but the Coho are cloming in shiny as a new nickle...

TomG

Man, I love that river.  The only way I've found to keep the temp below 95 is by cracking the door about a 1/4" with the the oven unplugged.  My project before next salmon season is to build a separate box for the generator and pipe the smoke into the BS.  There have been a fair # of threads on the problem and separation seems to be the solution.  The ice thing is messy and didn't work for me.

Tight lines-TG

jaeger

coho-killer,
Welcome to the forum. Here is a picture of my set up for cold smoking cheese.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

tsquared

Welcome coho_killa. (Great name!) Most people who cold smoke have a setup similar to Doug's. My remote chamber is made out of an old Little Chief smoker but the idea is exactly the same. Just make sure you put your water bowl inside the remote smoke box! Mine takes 2 extra minutes to set up and then those salmon are on their way to being lox.
T2

manxman

Welcome to the forum Coho_killa. [:D]

Also have a look at this post, this is the setup I have used successfully many times and is similar to the picture posted by jaegar.

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b><font size="2">Welcome to the forum Coho_killa.</font id="size2"></b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Ya what he said... [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Coho_killa

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>
<br />Man, I love that river.  The only way I've found to keep the temp below 95 is by cracking the door about a 1/4" with the the oven unplugged.  My project before next salmon season is to build a separate box for the generator and pipe the smoke into the BS.  There have been a fair # of threads on the problem and separation seems to be the solution.  The ice thing is messy and didn't work for me.

Tight lines-TG
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thank you for the infomration everyone! I will see if my exwife is rational enough to let my old little Chief smoker go and I will setup a sepperate box for cold smoke. she comes close to burning the house down with it anyways! For Now I am testing some heat control with a tongue depressor cracking the door open....I think its working I am trying for about 75 F

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Coho_killa!

No need to harangue the ex unless you want to [;)]--the cardboard box is a really easy and permanent solution if you keep it out of the rain . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> the cardboard box is a really easy and permanent solution if you keep it out of the rain . . .<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with John, I have thought about alternatives but the cardboard box I am using has lasted for months and is still going strong.

And eventually, when it gets too tatty I will just chuck it away and get another. What could be easier and cheaper![:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

32incheye

I haven't had a problem keeping it cold and I just use the smkoer as is.  Put a LOT of ice in the smoker.  I used to put it on the bottom rack but now im putting it right on the v shaped drip tray.  Put ice in the bowl as well.  Just turn on the smoke generator.  If it starts to get close to being to warm, I just open the door and let the whole outfit cool down again.
 I'm going to cold smoke some steaks tomorrow and freeze them so come summer time I can enjoy some tasty kebobs!
Good Luck.

Thunder Fish

Coho_killa I did some cheese about 3 weeks ago after 1 1/2-2 hours the Bradley temp was around 80-85(by the door gauge).No ice in there this time but ya have to leave the vent WIDE open.The ultimate is to carve the puck burner into a old working fridge,as some one has done before on this forum.
[:D]
Terry in Maple Ridge BC

Sleepydrakos

Hi all,

I have seen the suggestion of adding a box with an aluminum/plastic hose from the smoker box to the main unit.  I have also heard that to keep the vent open, ice in the v shaped box, or on all of trays, and bowl in makeshift box.

I am in Miami, Florida, and it is very hot.  I want to know if it is possible to cold smoke lox/ nova salmon w/o the modifications.

Appreciate all responses,

David

Oldman

QuoteI am in Miami, Florida, and it is very hot.  I want to know if it is possible to cold smoke lox/ nova salmon w/o the modifications.
I'm in St. Pete and IMO the answer is no.  If I had a mind to do  lox what I would get is an older refrigerator that works and the adapter for the generator and mount the generator into the refrigerator. Cut out the shelving between the freezer and the main body and add a vent to the top.

I don't remember it getting cold enough here to cold smoke.  If your outside temperature is 90F no matter how much vent hose you add your box will be to hot.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

I did this post a bit tongue in cheek regarding carving up a refridgerator but perhaps it is not a bad idea after all.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31.msg30715#msg30715

It can be too cold to cold smoke according to some references but with the fridge set at a minimum setting of say 39F/4C to 41F/5C it could just work!! :o
Manxman

winemakers

Would it be possible to modify a cooler to perform the same function?  Running 4" metal dryer vent through an ice filled cooler may drop the smoke/gas temperature sufficiently.  My concern is you would have to add an expensive inline fan to maintain flow.  The more successful you are cooling the smoke, the less efficiently the 'heat engine' will keep the smoke flowing as desired.

mld