Costco Brisket

Started by zueth, August 05, 2011, 06:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I was at Costco today and they had Brisket, but it was only 3.5 lbs, it looked like a trimmed flat. 

Will that work in the Bradley or do I need to go to the Butcher and get a Packer Cut 8-10lb Brisket?

zueth

squirtthecat

I would pass on a cut that small..

zueth

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 05, 2011, 10:30:43 PM

I would pass on a cut that small..
Is it the flat, just trimmed?

GusRobin

I'd either make pastrami out of it or cook it in a crock pot.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

At that weight, it is probably the flat or point; it's hard to tell from that picture.

I have smoked cooked flats as small as 4.25 pounds, they came out good but they were untrimmed when I purchased them. If the shot shows the top of  the brisket then it is fairly well trimmed. As Gus suggested you can make pastrami, or you can stop once it is cured for corned beef. Another idea is that you can apply some smoke then braise it in the oven, or dutch oven. If you make a lot of ground beef, I have been seeing many hamburger recipes that call for a ratio of ground brisket and sirloin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

I made a "Ain't Your Momma's Meatloaf" with ground Brisket and it was awesome.

Think it is time for another.

Tenpoint5

To answer you second question. Yes it will work in the Bradley if your wanting to make brisket. I would suggest draping some bacon over the top after you season it. to help with the moisture. I myself don't normally eat $3.59 a pound hamburgers
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!