Fresh Trout

Started by hockeybh, November 15, 2005, 05:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeybh

I received my ss bradley smoker a few weeks ago, just dying to smoke something. I caught some fresh rainbow trout the other day and want to try smoking some. Trying to decide if I should Lay it on the rack, hang it or filet it. Also what recipe to use. Ive been reading the forum for over a month now and looking at recipes. The trout are about 1.5-2lbs. Thanks Brandon

bugboat

I'm new to the Bradley also, but have been fishing and smokeing all my life. I would try steaking the fish. This is cutting the head and tail off. Then cutting down along the back bone on one side like you would to filet. Leave the back bone in the piece on the other side. Also leave the ribs in. The fish to me is too large to leave whole. Although you could. It is also too small to filet. I think it would dry out too quickly. It would be ok to smoke on the racks. I would brine the fish in brown sugar and salt for about 12 hours. There are many variations of this brining recipe. Do a search to find one you like. But a simple one is one cup of brown sugar and on cup of salt for one gallon of water. I would smoke in apple or alder. With the small fish you would want a mild smoke flavor. Let me know how it turns out. I plan on smoking some small creek browns in the spring.

common sense isnt common