Spraying Pulled pork

Started by JimBob Shafer, August 06, 2011, 09:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob Shafer

Getting ready to put 2 7lb pork shoulders in the smoker....I read some place about spraying them down during the smoking process.  I can't seem to find the recipe of what to use in the squirt bottle....

Help!!!!

classicrockgriller

You can any or Combinations of ...... water, Beer, apple juice, olive oil.

They all work.

But if you want a nice firm bark to it, I would stay away from spraying.

The piggie has enough fat to self baste itself.

Bigbirdoffroad

I use apple juice or apple cider, I also fill the water tray with the juice or cider, depends what I have on hand.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

KyNola

Every time you open the door to spray you are losing your heat in the tower.  In my opinion it is not worth it but if you want to spray have at it!

Rad Rich

I'm doing a 9.5 pounder right now.  Only my second butt. Started at about 6:30 this morn. Put 4 hrs of hickory on it and it is sitting at about 170 right now. I made an injection sauce of 3 parts apple juice 1 part vinegar, some salt, about 15 shakes of red hot little paprika some brown sugar.  I was thinking of mopping it with some injection sauce but it sounds like you guys don't recommend it.  What about finishing it in a pan with some apple juice in there?  I am going to take the IT to about 205. Any suggestions?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Rad Rich

Also is 4 hrs of hickory enough or do I need more smoke?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

KyNola

4 hours of hickory should do it.

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: KyNola on August 06, 2011, 11:30:13 AM
Every time you open the door to spray you are losing your heat in the tower.  In my opinion it is not worth it but if you want to spray have at it!
I agree but, I do my pulled poke on my masterbuilt propane smoker. Almost no heat loss. I don't think I'd spray with the Bradley, unless you could spray the juice down the vent? Just an idea.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Rad Rich on August 06, 2011, 12:01:33 PM
I'm doing a 9.5 pounder right now.  Only my second butt. Started at about 6:30 this morn. Put 4 hrs of hickory on it and it is sitting at about 170 right now. I made an injection sauce of 3 parts apple juice 1 part vinegar, some salt, about 15 shakes of red hot little paprika some brown sugar.  I was thinking of mopping it with some injection sauce but it sounds like you guys don't recommend it.  What about finishing it in a pan with some apple juice in there?  I am going to take the IT to about 205. Any suggestions?

You should be able to pull it at 195* IT. I took one out at this temp and it nearly hit da flo. Luckly I got Ninja Skills.  ;D
Mike

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 06, 2011, 03:05:57 PM

You should be able to pull it at 195* IT. I took one out at this temp and it nearly hit da flo. Luckly I got Ninja Skills.  ;D

Now that was funny, wish I could have seen that.  :D

ghost9mm

Quote from: OU812 on August 06, 2011, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 06, 2011, 03:05:57 PM

Now that was funny, wish I could have seen that.  :D

Hee Hee !!! yep in slow motion...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bavind

I use a German apple liquor called apfelkorn. I sometimes add some apple juice to cut down on the slightly strong flavour.

JimBob Shafer

I used a bit of cider and apple juice.  Only opened the smoker one time to add more water, so I went ahead and sprayed them at that point.  Didn't lose much heat doing it.

I do highly recommend a digital thermometer that you can keep in the meat and have a remote transmitter.  I used this and was able to watch the meat temperature without having to open the door.  Took it out at 195 and the did the ever so popular FTC (which I learned on here) for about 4 hours. 

After 4 hours, it was still hot and the meat just fell right apart. 

Thanks to all that post on here and give recommendations to newbies like myself.  It did make this attempt much better than the previous 2 that I tried on my own. 

DIG IN!! 

rcger

Quote from: KyNola on August 06, 2011, 11:30:13 AM

I agree with KY!  I did a butt this weekend (See Rick's Butt).  I opened the door at the 4 hour mark to change the water only.  I didn't peek again until my digital thermometer told me I had reached 195 IT.  The bark was outstanding.  I FTC'ed it for about 4 hours and then pulled it.  Talk about moist!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

smokinjoe73