Wondering which part to replace now.

Started by Johnnyxray, August 06, 2011, 06:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyxray

Hi all,
I have had my OBS for around 8 months now. I  love using it but have been constantly replacing parts. I have replaced everything but the main cabinet, heating element, and the heat adjustment switch. It almost seems like it was thrown off of the delivery truck for all the stuff that has broke on it. Now the heating element will not heat up. The only thing I see happening that is different is that the indicator light ont the cabinet by the slide switch stays the same instead of going from dim to bright as I move the switch from left to right. I want to get it fixed and have it work for more than a few smokes before breaking down again cause I love this thing. (So does my coworkers!) Any idea what I may need to replace to get it up and running?
Thanks,
John                                                                                                                                                                                       

classicrockgriller

Make sure you have registered your Bradley and give them a call on Monday.

They have some very qualified people that will take care of you.

Johnnyxray

Hi CRG,
I have been registered and gotten all of my replacement parts used so far from them. I am just really frustrated with having to constantly repair the smoker. I think it is one of the best things ever made for the home smoker but the quality if the unit I got is really poor, but I honestly wouldn't go with any other smoker. I live in Arizona and do not do a lot of smoking in the summer cause it averages 106 degree around here. Autum is coming up and the smoking bug is really starting to bite.
Thanks,
John

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Johnnyxray on August 06, 2011, 09:50:05 PM
Hi CRG,
I have been registered and gotten all of my replacement parts used so far from them. I am just really frustrated with having to constantly repair the smoker. I think it is one of the best things ever made for the home smoker but the quality if the unit I got is really poor, but I honestly wouldn't go with any other smoker. I live in Arizona and do not do a lot of smoking in the summer cause it averages 106 degree around here. Autum is coming up and the smoking bug is really starting to bite.
Thanks,
John

I truly understand. That is why I said call them so They know you are having some problems.

One thing about Bradley ............. they don't back up or run and hide when a problem arises.

If you need help, PM me and I will send you my #.

We want you smokin not cussin. And Bradley does too.

Habanero Smoker

If your power indicator light is still functioning, and the element is not working. It is likely that you have a bad element. I the meantime make sure the connections on the element are tight, but don't over tighten.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnnyxray

Contacted Bradley, new switch and heating element on the way. After those are replaced I will have totally rebuilt the unit. Hope that does the trick cause, it is starting to cool down here and I plan on doing a lot of smoking this winter. I would like to thank you guys for your help.
John

Johnnyxray

Well,
I got the new heating element and put it in. It heats up fine now but one of the insulators ( the left one that holds the element in place) cracked as it was heating. It is stable and holds eveything down fine so it shouldn't be a problem. It is nice to be  back up and running again. Will be doing a brisket friday night. Thanks for all of the help.
John

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Johnnyxray on August 16, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
Well,
I got the new heating element and put it in. It heats up fine now but one of the insulators ( the left one that holds the element in place) cracked as it was heating. It is stable and holds eveything down fine so it shouldn't be a problem. It is nice to be  back up and running again. Will be doing a brisket friday night. Thanks for all of the help.
John

If it cracked that is an indication that the bolt was over tightened when you reassembled it. I would replace that as soon as possible, or you may have another issue down the road when you are in the middle of smoking. Yard and Pool sells them, or you can contact Bradley to see if they will cover it under the warranty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnnyxray

Habs,
The ceramic part that cracked was the "U" shaped piece that holds the element in place with two screws. It is very stable and doesn't move but I am going to get a new one. I just hand tightened the bolts for the element cause I figured I could break the ceramic insulators on the ends of it, plus my hands are so big I probably couldn't have enough space to really crank them down. My co-workers are happy as I am that it is up and running though.
Thanks,
John