Boneless skinless Chicken Breast of goodness

Started by pumazjoe, August 07, 2011, 05:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumazjoe

Saturday needed to do some smokin'! Had 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Read on here that these can have a tendency to dry out while smoking so I took a couple measures to ensure that didn't happen. Brined them for an hour in about 12 cups of water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup galric powder, 1/4 cup black pepper. Butterflied the breasts, pounded a bit. Stuffed with Provolone wrapped in 2 slices of Honey Ham (just regular deli meat) - probably should have used 4 slices. Then wrapped them bad boys in Bacon, stuck some tooth picks and applied a little homemade rub (can't quite remember what was in that - I know brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, some cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Not too sure if there was anything else) Here's a pic:

Smoked with Mesquite for an hour, temp got up to 240, but basically maintained a temp of 230. Turned off the smoke and cooked for another hour and 15 minutes until internal temp was 160.

Had to FTC since they got done about 1:30pm and we weren't going to eat dinner until 5:30ish. Plus we were in the middle of demo-ing our kitchen. Wish I didn't have to do this, but all in all it turned out pretty good!

Forgot about sides and just whipped up some chicken flavored rice to go with it.

Probably could have used some more Ham and more cheese. But the wife loved it, and I was a fan - anything wrapped in bacon has my attention!
Vacuum sealed the remaining 3 breasts and put them in the freezer for a rainy day! Can't wait to get them out later.

mikecorn.1

Oh yeah. My wife loves yard bird breasts wrapped in bacon. Looks great. Looks like your V tray is upside down on the pic or maybe is the reflection from the inside of the smoker. Remember the whole in the middle of the tray is there so that it channels the drippings to the bowl.
Mike

pumazjoe

HAHa, yeah been playing around with the V tray - it doesn't really fit balanced either way. Was hoping nobody would catch that!  :D

ghost9mm

Well they sure look good to me, anything wrapped in bacon always gets better... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

That chicken looks great, gotta love anything wrapped in bacon.  :o

Your V tray should sit over the pins at the front and back and under the middle pins with the hole being the lowest part of the tray.

KyNola

You really want the v tray properly installed correctly. Otherwise it will not properly channel grease and you run the risk of a fire in your tower and you sure don't want that.