Mackerel

Started by slate, August 09, 2011, 05:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slate

Looking for a good recipe for smoking some Mackerel.

manxman

I have done loads of smoked mackeral and if you do a search you will find a couple of mackeral recipes I posted a while back.

Use the freshest mackeral you can get.

Butterfly the whole mackeral from the top of the fish through to the gut cavity and open out. 

Take the backbone out and pick out the major bones with forceps, also discard the guts. (take head and tail off if required, I just split the whole fish)

Wash thoroughly then brine in cold 80% brine for 15 - 30 mins dependent on size... brining an equivalent whole fish would take up to 5 hrs so the butterflying speeds up the process.

Rinse briefly (dont soak) in fresh water and pat dry with paper towel and then leave in fridge overnight / a few hours.

Cover the racks in a bit of cooking oil to reduce sticking, best to use non-stick racks or frog mats if you have em.

Prior to smoking some fresh coarse ground pepper or dried chilli flakes etc can be added to flesh side.

Smoke skin side down (oak or apple my favourite) for first hour with just the smoke generator on and temp slider completely to left then up the cabinet temp to about 220F and smoke / cook for a further couple of hours until done and or desired internal temp is reached.

I have found around 2.5 - 3 hours smoke time suits me best but that is down to personnel taste.

Leave overnight in fridge wrapped in foil or cling film / plastic wrap.

Can be eaten cold or reheated, I often make pate with mine.

Sent from HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Manxman

Dalglish

Quote from: manxman on August 09, 2011, 08:58:33 AM
I have done loads of smoked mackeral and if you do a search you will find a couple of mackeral recipes I posted a while back.

Use the freshest mackeral you can get.

Butterfly the whole mackeral from the top of the fish through to the gut cavity and open out. 

Take the backbone out and pick out the major bones with forceps, also discard the guts. (take head and tail off if required, I just split the whole fish)

Wash thoroughly then brine in cold 80% brine for 15 - 30 mins dependent on size... brining an equivalent whole fish would take up to 5 hrs so the butterflying speeds up the process.

Rinse briefly (dont soak) in fresh water and pat dry with paper towel and then leave in fridge overnight / a few hours.

Cover the racks in a bit of cooking oil to reduce sticking, best to use non-stick racks or frog mats if you have em.

Prior to smoking some fresh coarse ground pepper or dried chilli flakes etc can be added to flesh side.

Smoke skin side down (oak or apple my favourite) for first hour with just the smoke generator on and temp slider completely to left then up the cabinet temp to about 220F and smoke / cook for a further couple of hours until done and or desired internal temp is reached.

I have found around 2.5 - 3 hours smoke time suits me best but that is down to personnel taste.

Leave overnight in fridge wrapped in foil or cling film / plastic wrap.

Can be eaten cold or reheated, I often make pate with mine.

Sent from HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hello Manxman, sorry to hijack the thread but do you have a kipper step by step guide by any chance? Is it even possible using the Bradley? My Dad used to be able to get his hands on Manx kippers on a regular basis that were flown over to the mainland. I've never seen anything like that in the states and would love to recreated a childhood memory aaahhh kippers for breakfast!

Smokeville

I would be interested in kippers too!

manxman

Making kippers has been something of a challenge, one of the biggest problems has been getting hold of good quality herring with the right oil content but by lucky hap the run of herring locally this year have been larger and have had a better oil content so I  managed to make some decent kippers in my Bradley.

Local commercial Manx kippers now tend to be made with Icelandic or Norwegian herring and are available by mail order but I am pretty sure they don't despatch to the US.

Give me a couple of days and I will get round to posting a step by step method that I currently use.

I seem to remember that there have been previous posts detailing how to make kippers in a Bradley so a search may yield some more information.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Manxman