How often do you use 6 racks or wish you had more space?

Started by ffrcoupe, August 10, 2011, 04:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 11, 2011, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 12:44:59 PM

Not only that, with the racks kits (which I have yet to find on Y&P) I could set it up so I can move racks around at will.

I guess it boils down to how much interior space you want.
Uh, I don't get what your saying with the "smiley" face holding the "W". I guess I'm not up on the hip forum posting. Getting old you know. ::)

The W is the icon for MS Word and the smiley guy looks a little stoned so he's really saying "wurd" as in "wurd up" as in "I agree".

Quarlow

Sorry guys, I am new here. I said yard and pool but meant Smoke"n" stuff. My bad.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 06:24:46 PM
Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 11, 2011, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 12:44:59 PM

Not only that, with the racks kits (which I have yet to find on Y&P) I could set it up so I can move racks around at will.

I guess it boils down to how much interior space you want.
Uh, I don't get what your saying with the "smiley" face holding the "W". I guess I'm not up on the hip forum posting. Getting old you know. ::)

The W is the icon for MS Word and the smiley guy looks a little stoned so he's really saying "wurd" as in "wurd up" as in "I agree".
Got it! ;D
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Ketch22

HI 
     You can put one rack on top of the other just flip one over. They will slide right in. I have a 4 rack and the 6 rack. The 4 rack heats up faster. I wont to put the 900 watt heater with the fan in my 6 rack that will help a lot with the heat.

OU812

Quote from: Ketch22 on August 12, 2011, 10:42:37 AM
HI 
     You can put one rack on top of the other just flip one over. They will slide right in. I have a 4 rack and the 6 rack. The 4 rack heats up faster. I wont to put the 900 watt heater with the fan in my 6 rack that will help a lot with the heat.

Putting an inverted rack on top of another rack does work but its a real pain to rotate racks.  ;D

grnhs

do you still need to rotate racks with the fan kit?

ffrcoupe

I think what I've decided to do is buy the 6 rack DBS and get a 6 rack kit from Smoke 'n' Stuff just so I can move the racks around a bit if I want. I think I'm also going to install a 2nd 500w element w/ switch and get an Auber Dual Probe later on after I've smoked a few things.  ;D

classicrockgriller

This is JMO and I have two dual probe Aubers, If I did it again,

I would just buy the single probe and a good (Thermapen) meat thermometer.

I never use the meat probe and I could have saved $40.

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: ffrcoupe on August 11, 2011, 01:18:04 PM
Quote from: OU812 on August 11, 2011, 12:59:25 PM
Heres a link to the rack kit.

http://www.smokeandstuff.com/

If you got a hack saw, drill and the time you can make the shelf outta 1/2 aluminum angle.

Cool. Thanks for the linky. I build them myself but it would take too long and would look like s**t.

No to hard, yesterday I stopped by Home depot and purchased 20 ft 1/2 aluminum angle.

A few hours later...

Now I have 18 racks.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

If you look closely, Mark also added a rack space below the bottom factory

rack to position his heat shield.

Looking forward to hearin how that works.

Great Job Mark.

ffrcoupe

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 12, 2011, 07:11:03 PM
This is JMO and I have two dual probe Aubers, If I did it again,

I would just buy the single probe and a good (Thermapen) meat thermometer.

I never use the meat probe and I could have saved $40.

Yeah, but if I get a dual probe then I can use meat temp to trigger a cycle in the PID.

ffrcoupe

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on August 12, 2011, 08:12:31 PMNo to hard, yesterday I stopped by Home depot and purchased 20 ft 1/2 aluminum angle.

A few hours later...

Now I have 18 racks.

That looks good. :)

True. I might consider it but I don't have anything to cut it with, a vise, or a metal grinder.

A six rack kit from S&S is only $30.00.