brand new...haven't smoked yet, but am already thinking about cold smoking...

Started by JeffPorter, August 11, 2011, 05:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffPorter

Hi Everyone,

Brand new from Ontario. Got a new 4 rack OBS...just set it up and seasoned it tonight and I'm going to do simple chicken tomorrow for my first smoke. I'll take it slow and do lots of hot smoking during the summer to get used to my smoker.

But I'm already thinking about sausages, salmon and other things to cold smoke...I have a couple questions:

1) Is the ice method a good way to try cold smoking at first?

2) Is the Bradley smoke adaptor worth buying (I may wait until next season) or is it just as good to make your own?

3) Given that I'm in Southern Ontario is it better to cold smoke in the fall when the smoker can't get as hot?

These forums look great and I'm looking forward to meeting lots of people (online) and learning a lot...and boy do I have a lot to learn...

Cheers

beefmann

jeff,

Welcome to the forum

as for cold smoking the best temps are the  lower the better some where between 60 and 90 F though there may be some debate on this issue so I  would consider making or purchasing a cold smoke adapter.

I have seen one made out of a metal mail box, others out of cardboard box or wood, Then again i would be concerned about a fire with the cardboard, others have bought the bradley adapter. its totally up  to you.

I know with just the smoke generator on and 24 lbs of pork the box temp will hover around 140 to 150 F on the door thermometer.

figure out what you  want to cold smoke and the best box temp to smoke at and go from there.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jeff;

Welcome to the forum.

Ice is a good way to keep you cabinet temperatures down, when you have the generator attached. Though I find that the cold air that the ice creates interferes with the smoke properly circulating. Remove the drip tray to improve the circulation. I generally do this even when I have the generator off-set.

Other thoughts on cold smoking, the cooler the weather the better it is to cold smoke. Keep the smoker out of direct sun. Since cold smoking generally take no more then several hours at the most; it is best to smoke early morning or after dusk when the outdoor temperatures are generally cooler.

The cardboard cold smoker adapter works well. I used that type for several years before Bradley made there cold smoke adapter. They are easy to make, and you can use that until you decide if you want a more permanent setup.

Cardboard Cold Smoke Adapter

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)