Model TYJ50 Synchronous motor

Started by iceman, November 17, 2005, 10:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

I'm hardly an apologist for Mr. Bradley (whom I've never met), nor do I countenance people who don't take reponsibility for their actions or mistakes.  I am in complete agreement with the need for Bradley to produce a reliable smoke generator--it is indeed the key innovation in their smoker.  And I too would like to see Mr. Bradley more directly supporting the Forum, since we are at the same time his best promoters and could be his worst enemies!

That being said, I don't want us to lose our perspective by focusing on one problem.  It looks from the dates on posts that Olds' email was sent on Thursday or Friday (his post with the e-mail was from Fri 11/18).  Let's realize he might be away on business, on vacation, etc.  He may not look at the Forum every day or two like many of us. Perhaps he is working on solving this problem and will communicate this to us.  
Let's give him a fair chance to respond before throwing him under the bus.

If he's not, of course, I'll be happy to be the bus driver . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

ValFitzAndrew

Good Day All,

This thread has made me rethink my purchase of the BS. I will follow this and if Bradley agrees to fix the problem then I will again revisit the idea of owning one. It's too bad, I thought that I had found the perfect food prep product. [:(]

Has anyone looked in the Granger Catalogue for a replacement motor?

iceman

Grainger had one that was close but they couldn't quite get it right. I could probably make it work but the average person would never be able to do it. I want to come up with a fix for everyone. If Bradley doesn't step up to the plate I'm going to make one with off the shelf items and give the plans to anyone who wants them. I've figured out a way to use a saw dust hopper so you wouldn't even need to buy the waffers from them. I would definately wait for now to see what they come up with if anything. The one year warrenty was a good idea but all three of mine broke shortly after that. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ValFitzAndrew</i>
<br />Good Day All,

This thread has made me rethink my purchase of the BS. I will follow this and if Bradley agrees to fix the problem then I will again revisit the idea of owning one. It's too bad, I thought that I had found the perfect food prep product. [:(]

Has anyone looked in the Granger Catalogue for a replacement motor?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Arcs_n_Sparks

I have posted this before on this topic. This is the closest I have seen to date: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005112318450740&item=5-1564-A&catname=electric

and here is another:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005112318450740&item=5-1564&catname=electric

What I don't know is what type of shaft the BS motor has, and how it is coupled or connected to the puck drive mechanism.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />he might be away on business, on vacation, etc.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or in China, perfecting the next, newest thing.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />He may not look at the Forum every day or two like many of us. Perhaps he is working on solving this problem and will communicate this to us.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Don't hold your breath.[;)]
<br /> Let's give him a fair chance to respond before throwing him under the bus.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Wade doesn't participate on the forum, he won't and that's all. I won't condone his decision, but will agree with his position.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If he's not, of course, I'll be happy to be the bus driver . . .<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sorry John, that seat's already taken![;)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

thostorey

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br />

What I don't know is what type of shaft the BS motor has, and how it is coupled or connected to the puck drive mechanism.

It is very easy to open the generator by removing the 8 screws around the edge of the bottom. The generator then splits in two, although there are wires still connecting the two. Then you can easily see how the motor is connected to the puck feeder.
It would be tempting to order one of the two motors in the url, just to see if they could be subsituted for the original. In the generator, the connection between the motor and the puck feeder is not very sophisticated and should be reasonably easy to duplicate or modify to suit a slightly different drive motor geometry. Mine's not broken, yet, but when it does and if it is off warrantee, I'd certainly give it a try.  

Tom in Qualicum Beach

iceman

Way to go. I talked to a tech rep and the motor specs out identical to the one Bradley uses. I have five coming just to take care of my friends. I'm also working with Burden sales on other replacement parts for the Bradley generator such as the momentary switches and cherry switches. I don't know whats in the control box but thats next. Thank you so much for the research you have done for all us smoke heads. Have a great turkey day. Regards; Patrick.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br />I have posted this before on this topic. This is the closest I have seen to date: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005112318450740&item=5-1564-A&catname=electric

and here is another:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005112318450740&item=5-1564&catname=electric

Arcs_n_Sparks

TomG

Iceman, which of the two motors did you buy?

Thanks-Tom-

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wade doesn't participate on the forum, he won't and that's all. I won't condone his decision, but will agree with his position.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Maybe he does'nt participate on the forum and I can understand that, the forum should be free from any actual or perceived company influence.

However, he appears to have been a member of the forum for a few months now, any forum member can do a search of other member profiles assuming this WB is one and the same??

Presumably therefore he does view the forum from time to time which is a good thing and something I would do in his position?

He does not have to actively participate, it would be enough if he just monitored customer (dis)satisfaction and acted on those issues causing regular and significant customer disquiet of which the smoke generator drive motor seems to be uppermost.

And if one dealer is reporting 1 in 3 smoke generator units being faulty that is a significant failure rate!

So if Wade Bradley actually gets to read this...... come on Mr Bradley, you have a whole host of very local supporters on this forum, not least Oldman at the top of the list.

It's payback time.................

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

I bought item # 5-1564-A Model FYJ50-8 from Burden Sales.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>
<br />Iceman, which of the two motors did you buy?

Thanks-Tom-

Kamanodental

Iceman

do you have a url or a link to Burden Sales.?

Kamano

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />I bought item # 5-1564-A Model FYJ50-8 from Burden Sales.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>

Thanks-Tom-

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kamanodental</i>
<br />Iceman

do you have a url or a link to Burden Sales.?

Kamano

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />I bought item # 5-1564-A Model FYJ50-8 from Burden Sales.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>

Thanks-Tom-

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005112514585950&catname=&qty=1&item=5-1564-A

car54

I have had my Bradley for over a year and have never had problems except when I took it apart and cleaned it. I got some moisture in the microswitch and it would not stop cycling. Once I dried, it ran well.

I took some pictures of the Bradley motor and the pivot arm that hits the microswitch, so that it is easier for people who have not taken theirs apart to visualize it.

My motor is 6rpm and 4 watts.The Item# 5-1564-A motor from Burden Sale will work. It has the same rpm, watts and shaft diameter with a flat spot. A larger screw might have to be used to hold the pivot arm in place.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I hope this helps, Brad

iceman

Nice pics car54. Thanks for the input. The motors I ordered are on the way and I will take pictures on the repair steps. Can you tell a dumb s___ like me how to get pictures on a post so I can share them with everyone? In kitchen talk please. Thanks all.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />I have had my Bradley for over a year and have never had problems except when I took it apart and cleaned it. I got some moisture in the microswitch and it would not stop cycling. Once I dried, it ran well.

I took some pictures of the Bradley motor and the pivot arm that hits the microswitch, so that it is easier for people who have not taken theirs apart to visualize it.

My motor is 6rpm and 4 watts.The Item# 5-1564-A motor from Burden Sale will work. It has the same rpm, watts and shaft diameter with a flat spot. A larger screw might have to be used to hold the pivot arm in place.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I hope this helps, Brad

car54

Because of the low price of the units I ordered 2. I don't expect any problems but who knows. When I recieve and install them I will report back.

Brad