ZZZZAP!

Started by squirtthecat, August 13, 2011, 08:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

We had a storm blow through a couple weeks ago...  I was in the kitchen pulling pork (as usual) and we had a lightning strike that sounded like it was in our back yard.  Shook the damn house.  I about hit the ceiling, and the cats all ran and hit under the bed.

Turns out, it was indeed in our back yard..

I'll keep an eye on that limb next Spring to make sure it didn't do any permanent damage.   It will be tricky to cut down without crushing my and part of my neighbor's fence.   :o

I'm still finding strips of that bark.

muebe

DANG SQUIRT!!! I would still be behind the couch :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

I hightailed it out of the kitchen!  That tree is about 50' away from the window I was standing near..

FLBentRider

Dang!

you might see the cats in a few days...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 13, 2011, 09:12:33 AM
Dang!

you might see the cats in a few days...

They emerged about 4 hours later.

3rensho

Dang, I think I'd need a change of shorts  ;D ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Slamdunk

Now that is just a little to close for comfort!!

Also a reminder not to go running for cover under a tree during a lightning storm....

muebe

During the next storm try shoving a lightning rod into a pork butt :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

rdevous

A good tree service can take out the damaged section and not touch the fence.

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

classicrockgriller

Hate that.

That was a nice tree.

Got one in my backyard, 80 foot pine, that

got hit 12 years ago or so and it's still going strong.

beefmann

that is a real shocker, hope that  everyone  made it through it safely and the tree survives 

ghost9mm

Squirt...they do scare the tar out of you when that happens, we had a large maple out in the yard about 30 feet from the house, the lightning took the tree and came in the house and took out two TVs my wifes electric organ and several receptacles...not good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

I had one a couple of years ago that hit a tree in my front yard and took out my garage door opener, 1 small tv, 1 phone and blew ou s lice of sheet rock off the wall. The tree is still going strong.
Mike

hal4uk

Maybe it will glow by itself for Christmas!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

On the cattle ranch we had a freak storm go threw. It struck a tree just across the river while we were sitting there having coffee looking right at it. The boss said to go make sure there was nothing burning. I went over and nothing was burning, but the strike hit the top of the tree came half way down the trunk to a spot were three branches grew out from the trunk. The lightening shot out each of the branches to the ground.. sort of. Unfortunately there was 4 cows taking shelter under that tree. There was nothing burning but it was the biggest BBQ you ever seen. Yup all four got it and that tree was drier than a popcorn fart. The needles just started to go brown after that and it ended up as fire wood. Near the base of the trunk the sap was boiled out from under the bark and turned black. Very scary when you think about it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.