Hog salmon Done

Started by Keymaster, August 06, 2011, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

This was a long 9 hour smoke (2hours of alder smoke and seven dry time). I used Kummoks recipe as always. This salmon was so thick I was getting worrried after four hours and opened the door and it was a sweaty white fish but Kummocks recipe pulled threw and another top notch batch of salmon.
The hunk o fish

Got advice from the forum in cutting this hunk o fish

Into the smoker it goes

All done

Yes, the taste test was very much satisfactory!!

Kummok

Way to turn fish into gold, Keymaster! Glad it turned out great for you....tough choice on whether to grill the fresh fat ones or smoke them...either way a good decision  ;)

OU812

Oh Yaaaaaaa!

That there salmon looks awsome!

muebe

Oh WOW!! That Salmon looks great ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

You can be proud of that fish for sure.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Wow that turned out exceptionally well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Very good looking fish. What do you suppose that fish weighed!! ::)  Because I like the flavor of Kummoks brine so well I might have split the fish through the middle so they would not have been so thick and you would have more of the surface with kummoks brine on it.
KC

Keymaster

Quote from: pikeman_95 on August 12, 2011, 08:49:25 PM
Very good looking fish. What do you suppose that fish weighed!! ::)  Because I like the flavor of Kummoks brine so well I might have split the fish through the middle so they would not have been so thick and you would have more of the surface with kummoks brine on it.
KC
I think he said it weighed 45# Kirby, it was too thick to smoke, it was good but I like the smaller fish for smoking.

RFT

My god man that is a huge Salmon 8) :o :)

Looks great. 
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Kummok

Big salmon, little salmon all end up the same size in my smoker......like KC said it's all about more surface for the sweet/smoky glaze (for my own taste, that is...)

Edit: I should point out that the middle (2nd) picture is "steak size"...that is the size I use for grilling & blackening. When smoking, these steaks then get reduced into the "smoking size" shown in the upper (1st & 3rd) pics.

Keymaster

If I do More Big stuff I will definately cut it up like your pictures Kummock ;)