Mini Turkey Boulder

Started by SamuelG, August 13, 2011, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

So I finally decided to give it a try.  My wife loves turkey and chicken, I rather go hungry.  I'll eat some only if I cook it and it's super seasoned to the point it has no poultry taste.  Sorry.

I would like to make pastrami out of it trying to minimize the "turkey" taste. Ham taste would be a positive.  It says 20% solution added, how should I brine it as it does not say how much salt was added.  The first on the list of ingredients is water, then salt.

There are many recipes here but I'm not sure how to adjust for this.

Thanks

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

Twenty percent is a lot; I've never seen it so high.

It hard to tell without knowing brine salinity. Just say it is a 10% brine solution, that will be about the same or more then your curing brine. I don't seen much in the way of osmosis occurring. I would scrap this project and fine one that is not processed or minimally processed.

Or you can go ahead and try, to cure it, it may be a weaker brine or even if it is 10% the curing action may work. It won't hurt but it may turn out to be a waste of supplies and time. The turkey will still be edible, because when I make turkey pastrami I will use a cabinet temperature of 200°F.

Here is how I make turkey pastrami (note there are two recipes in one; one recipe has cure #1):
Turkey Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SamuelG

Thanks Habs.  I will not brine it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23817.msg285657#msg285657

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

I don't buy that many processed turkey breast, but I did see on the label the "up to 20%". That's the first time I have every came across that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)