3 briskets for Wednesday

Started by kfin, August 14, 2011, 05:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

My wife invited her entire staff over to the house Wednesday. Brisket is the main dish and I have been entrusted to smoke this feast. I put 3 whole briskets on last night, one is already done, one is currently at 183, and the third isn't far behind. Question: It is now Sunday evening and we are planning on eating Wednesday at 4:00.

Should I just put these in the fridge after they FTC for a few hours? Or do I need to freeze them? If fridge, should I leave them whole, warm them up in the oven and then slice? Or slice before putting in the fridge?

I know lots of you guys have cooked for big groups before but this is my first go at this. Thanks for any help.

Keith

GusRobin

i would FTC them for a few hours, then in the fridge. WEdnesday take them out and slice and put in a covered roasting pan with some beef broth,in the oven and then serve.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Not saying this is the right way or the only way,

just the way I did the same thing recently.(3 Briskets)

After FTC, I fridged them in the foil they were FTC'ed in.

Re-warmed them in the oven and sliced them then. Your

FTC foil will have the juices it released during FTC.

But either way will be just fine.

What temp are you thinking of using for a rewarm?

kfin

Makes sense to me to simply leave them in the foil that they are in right now FTCn. I am going to reheat them in the oven on Wednesday and probably slice them after warming.

Recomendations on temp to warm these babies up at? Should I shoot for an internal temp on the warming or simply a time? And to really sound stupid...what exactly is "beef stock"?

To be honest, there may be only 2 of these left. She is gone right now, they are smelling awesome.....hmmm, home alone................3 briskets and baked beans for a crowd.

classicrockgriller

3 cold Briskets in a preheat oven at 300* is probably gonna take around 3 hours

to get to eating temp.(150 to 160).

I would give myself more time and start checking the meat temp at the 2 hour mark.

If it gets warm before you need to cut it, turn oven to lowest temp setting. (170)

If at the two hour mark if you feel you aren't warming up fast enough, bump temp to 350*

(Just make sure you turn down the oven when your IT is reached)

kfin

Sounds like a plan. Going to put them in the fridge tonight before I go to bed and I'll just leave them in the foil they are in now.

No need to add any juice to them if I warm them up in this foil? Or should I open them up Wednesday before going into the oven and put a little something in there?

Thanks for the assist!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: kfin on August 14, 2011, 06:46:31 PM
Sounds like a plan. Going to put them in the fridge tonight before I go to bed and I'll just leave them in the foil they are in now.

No need to add any juice to them if I warm them up in this foil? Or should I open them up Wednesday before going into the oven and put a little something in there?

Thanks for the assist!

You can.

After the FTC you should be able to kinda felt the bottom

of the Brisket thru the foil and tell how much liquid is in there.

If you think you need to, add beef broth. Comes in a can like chicken broth.

GL and let us know, I mean take pics. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Just one other note. Keep brisket in foil for that long, it may start to dissolve the foil. This is not harmful, but some of your guest may detect a bitter after taste. I would take it out of the foil, save the drippings (skim off the fat) and wrap in plastic wrap.

You can bump the oven temperature up to 350°F, place the briskets in disposable foil pans with some broth or sauce, and seal tightly with foil. If I am using a sauce, what I do is slice them cover with sauce then reheat. If it is just beef broth, I generally leave them whole.

If you want to try an onion sauce, this one is pretty good: Onion Sauce for Brisket. Since your briskets are already cooked you would start with step #4.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)