will a digital smoke generator work on an original cabinet?

Started by Rad Rich, August 15, 2011, 02:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey I was wondering if I would find a digital generator, could I use it on my obs cabinet?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

classicrockgriller

Hmmmm, You would have two temp controllers competing to control the heat.

Have used my OBS gen on my Digital box (with a pid).

Would probably work with a PID. and you would have to have sensor plug that comes

with the cold smoke adapter to stop the E warning.

Habs will be by later. He'll probably have the scoop.

NePaSmoKer

Yes but you will need the bypass dummy plug to trick the generator and not give you an E code.

Habanero Smoker

Someone on this forum rigged up a digital generator to control his OBS. I remember this because I thought he couldn't do it, but he did. I don't have time to do a search right now, but it's on this forum somewheres. 

It was during the time when the digitals were just coming out on the market. I forgot how he ridged it up, and cannot remember how he got the digital generator in the first place, because at that time they were not sold separately. If it is rigged to control the temperature you will need to add the sensor to the cabinet, if you don't want it to control the heat you will need a bypass plug as CRG stated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rad Rich

interesting, thanks for the reply's.  Super happy with my obs, was just wondering.  Just made a 9 pound butt over the weekend and it was unbelievable.  Took it to a friends house that owns a meat company and he uses a green egg.  He said it was the best butt he ever had. 
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Toker

If it was me, i would do the opposite, i mean, obs smoke gen into the 6 racks digital tower. Then switching the digital sensor, replacing it by an obs sensor and adding a second obs sensor for a second elements. then using the digital smoke gen with the plug that came with the cold smoke adaptor or throwing it away and buying the smoke generator with adaptor (analogue smoke gen). This way, you would have a home made 6 racks obs. That would be the only reason for me to buy a digital. Maybe one day if i could find a used 6 racks tower but until now, don't know where to find one...