High Temp Cheese in Canada

Started by CoreyMac, August 18, 2011, 10:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

Anybody know where a person can get high temp cheese in Canada. My source UNI-PAC is gone from town and every other place looks at me like I have 3 heads when I ask. Haven't found a place in the states that will ship because its a perishable item and they can't/won't ship accross the border, probably don't want to have it shipped that far anyway.

Thanks

Corey

Jim O

Hey Corey

What's high temperature cheese ??

That's a new one on me ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

cobra6223

High temp cheese is just that, it won't melt !!,I know a few people on here just buy a block of cheddar and dice themselves and that's what I've done in the past, much cheaper also than the high temp stuuf, with that being said I know ther's a new Cabela's in Washington state and depending where you are in Canada might not be bad on shipping, the other option we use since my wife is from BC, we ship things to Sumas,WAand then my wifes son drives over from Abbottsford and picks it up, saves mega dollars on shipping and it can get there as fast as next day. Well good luck.
Tim

CoreyMac

If Cabela's has it I may try them, they just opened up a big one here in Edmonton, haven't seen it yet. I have tried the regular cheese route but it never seems to turn out quite right because it melts when smoking. I have been dying to try the high temp stuff.

Thanks for the info

Corey

broken

Bobdelasmoke

Dunno if it can help but here in Qc, the 2 brands we got is Doremi and Halloum. Smoked that stuff is just wow!

3rensho

If it tastes anything like the "high temperature" chocolate bars we had in Vietnam I'd give it a definite miss.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bobdelasmoke on August 19, 2011, 08:26:52 AM
Dunno if it can help but here in Qc, the 2 brands we got is Doremi and Halloum. Smoked that stuff is just wow!

That's a good idea. I marinate and grill Halloumi and Juusto and love both cheeses, but their salt content may make the sausage too salty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sailor

Quote from: 3rensho on August 19, 2011, 09:53:38 AM
If it tastes anything like the "high temperature" chocolate bars we had in Vietnam I'd give it a definite miss.
I have been buying my high temp cheddar from Allied Kinco and I think it tastes pretty darn good.  I use it in my Jalapeno and Cheddar sausage and I think it gives a great flavor.  I have used it in SS without any complaints.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

I missed 3rensho post. I get my high temperature cheese from LEM's, it feels waxy but it taste and the texture is similar to other cheeses of the same variety. I purchase from LEM's because they seem to dice the cheese into smaller cubes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

Habs...I get the halloumi part...but why is it diced? I have grilled halloumi many times but in "planks" so to speak...I noticed the references to the cubing in this post...

Just to get more smoke into the cheese?

Habanero Smoker

Hi La Quinta;

I don't dice my Halloumi either prior to grilling, but may do so to add to salads. My post was in response to Bobdelasmoke idea of using Halloumi as the high temperature cheese in sausage making, and just cautioning that it may be too salty of an ingredient.

I generally slice it through the equator to make planks as you do, marinate, then grill. Serve on the side with additional marinade, or add to a salad.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

I never even thought about smoking it...however I may try it...still hovering at 108-110 here so what the hell...the grill is hotter then that...

duh.. 

viper125

Never used the high temp cheese. Always heard it was to waxy and tasted off. But may have to try. Seems like the reqular has a tendency to run.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: viper125 on August 23, 2011, 12:39:43 PM
Never used the high temp cheese. Always heard it was to waxy and tasted off. But may have to try. Seems like the reqular has a tendency to run.

Like most foods some manufacturer use higher quality foods and others don't. Some may be the way you describe, you just need to find a good brand. All the LEM's brands that I have used, all taste just as good as the regular cheese, though it does have a waxy feel to it prior to cooking it in your sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.