One last gobble gobble question

Started by Mach1, August 19, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

I'm getting ready to smoke my turkey tomorrow, and trying to figure the best way to do the rub,  I know the rub won't really penetrate the skin, so should try to get it under the skin?(which sounds like it would be a gigantic pain in the you know what) or is it not worth the work to get it under there?

Quarlow

Hi mach, some flavour will penetrate the skin, but if you want to get the flavour really going try injecting. Any cheap injector will do and you can melt some butter or use oil and mix your spices in. You can also slide your hand under the skin and seperate it from the meat. Then use cold butter and mix your spices in it and then spread with your hand the butter mixture between the meat and skin. Its messy but works. Injecting is the tidy way.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mikecorn.1

Mike

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Mach1

So with the injecting do you just slide it under the skin and inject it or do inject it into the meat?

ghost9mm

When I do it, I inject it into the meat, better penetration...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

You can also carefully separate sections of the skin and apply the rub underneath the skin ;)

Also mix the rub with some melted sweet butter for injection into the meat and you will have one fantastic bird ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)