Leg warmer

Started by GBIceman, August 18, 2011, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBIceman

I am smoking some chicken legs for a party Sat night, I want to ensure they are done in time so I will start a little early. If they get done early what is the best way to keep them warm? I understand I could use the OBS as a warmer, how long and at what temp can I do this at.

Thanks Steve
Ice fishing rocks

If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.

Habanero Smoker

Chicken with skin it difficult to keep warm any length of time without effecting the texture of the skin. If you want to crisp up the skin, a few additional minutes over a hot grill just prior to serving may improve the skin. Having said that, I have kept chicken warm in my Bradley for close to 3 hours prior to serving. If you are looking at holding them longer then that, you may just want to refrigerate them, then reheat them in an oven or over a hot grill; which shouldn't take much time.

What you need to do is preheat the smoker to 150°F, and close the vent to about 1/4 open. Though you need to hold it at 140°F to be safe, I use 150°F to compensate for the "cool" spots in the smoker. Place the chicken in half-size deep steam pan, or other type of disposable pan that will fit in the smoker. The chicken must already be hot, such as it has just finished cooking, or you have just finished reheating it in the kitchen oven. Cover tightly with foil, when keeping chicken with skin warm; I make a few small slits in the foil to allow some moisture to escape.

Since the heat from the pan may be higher then 150°F, if you are using a PID make sure the probe is several inches away from the pan(s).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GBIceman

Ice fishing rocks

If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.