OBS and PID?

Started by smokedog, October 27, 2012, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokedog

Hello all...first time posting here.  I am trying to decide if I should take the jump to electric...I have an opportunity to buy OBS for about 100.  I thought I could add a PID and be better off than buying a new 4 rack...what say you?

Jimmy

GusRobin

that is what I have and think it is the way to go. (If the OBS is in good shape. Check the element, the plastic around the door and look it over good.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Toker

Just keep in mind that if the smoker is used, there is no warranty. So if the element burn out, you will have to pay for a new one. But if it is in good condition, it sound good to me.

smokedog

I am just so wishy washy about the jump to electric.  I have been a charcoal smoker for years.  My UDS has given out and I am in a spot where I am having to make a choice.  I have a temp controller for my drum,.   however it only controls down to 175.  I have started smoking sausage and would like the freedom to go down to the mid to low 100's.  I can build another drum for next to nothing and buy another temp controller that will do what I want...or buy an electric that will do what I want.  What concerns me is the posts regarding the troubles heating the BS.  I really would like to not have to mod the unit.  Amazon sells the 6 rack for about 400 shipped.  However, even though it is digital I still read where people have big temp swings and troubles heating to 250 for BBQ smokes.

So I guess I am looking for some counseling!!  LOL

GusRobin

I think you would need to get a PID if you want to control the temps. You may not have to mod as not everyone does. I would get an OBS with a pid before the digital unless you need the larger size of the 6 rack digital.
Just my opinion.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokedog

Well the OBS I was looking at on craigslist was in bad shape...looked like the front door had a crack....oh well...

So if I am understanding everyone, unless the extra space is needed a 4 rack with a PID would be the same if not better than a digital 4 or 6 rack?

TedEbear

Quote from: smokedog on October 28, 2012, 12:37:05 PMSo if I am understanding everyone, unless the extra space is needed a 4 rack with a PID would be the same if not better than a digital 4 or 6 rack?

Right.  The digital doesn't control the temp swings any better than the OBS and if you go with the OBS you can apply the cost savings toward a PID controller.

smokedog

I went to look at the 4 rack at bass pro yesterday.  It looks really small inside.  Can someone provide me a reference of how much meat can fit?  For example for ribs..it would appear that the racks would have to be cut in half.  How many half racks will fit on each shelf?  How many boston butts can fit?  One per shelf it looks like and depending on the size...2 total.  How about a brisket?

Jimmy