smoked taste

Started by Bobdelasmoke, August 19, 2011, 08:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobdelasmoke

Hey guys, I feel like a total noob asking this. Got my smoker few months ago and have done a couple of different recipes that turned out great. Thing is, I've tried different bisquettes maple, oak, hickory, cherry, apple and I don't notice a big difference in taste. I don't think I could tell which bisquettes was used if it wasn't me who smoked the food.

Smoking food isn't very popular here, my guess was I'm not really used to the different flavour. What's your guys thoughts about this?

SoCalBuilder

Bob - I think a lot of it has to do with what you are smoking and how much fooling around you do with spices and rubs. The amount of smoke obviously is a big factor. When I do chicken, I usually just do the salt and pepper thing with maybe a little granulated garlic. If I use oak or hickory, I can definitely tell it is stronger than say apple or maple.  I've never had it so smoky that it was unpleasant, but everyone has different tastes. Some here will roll smoke for the entire time that they are doing a brisket. That's alot of smoke!

DTAggie

You will defenitely notice a difference on lighter meat such as fish or if you smoke any cheese.

mikecorn.1

I'm just about there with you. The ones that I can definitely tell is when I use maple or apple. The smoke is very mild and sweet. The others are hard to tell especially like was said prior, you put different rubs on the meats and tends to mask the smoke flavor. That's in my case anyway.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

Bob - IMHO many folks can not tell the difference in smoke taste other than how strong it is. If you purchase a variety pack, try each type on the same kind of meat and smoke for the same amount of time. You should probably do the same experiment with different meats. Smoke for about 3 hours. If they all have the same basic taste just different strengths of flavor, I would recommend going with a middle of the road wood like Oak, Maple, or Apple.

Personally I can taste a difference in most woods, but I normally just use Apple in the Bradley and use Oak, Pecan, Hickory, or Mesquite hard woods in my grill.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ghost9mm

Yes Sir...What DTAggie said, you will really notice it on fish, cheese and most anything you put in the smoker naked will have a stronger smoke flavor...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill