A couple turkey questions.

Started by Mach1, August 17, 2011, 09:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

I'm going to do a turkey this weekend(probably just a breast). I'm going to rub it with some olive oil and then sprinkle it with Jans rub. I have never cooked a turkey period, so I have a few questions.

I was thinking of smoking it for 2 hours, at 245*, then transferring it to a roasting pan in the oven to finish up, so here's my questions;

I know I've read it, but can't remember and can't find it what's the highest temp I can set my Auber at and the OBS go? I'm going to put the PID in thickest part of the breast, is that ok? When I transfer it to the oven/roasting pan should I cover the roasting pan or just leave it open? And should I put some liquid in the bottom of the pan, and if so should I occasionally baste or will that effect the smoke flavor?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks!!!

classicrockgriller

If it is just a breast, at 245* and 2 hours of smoke, you will almost be

finished with the cook. The OBS will probably peak out at 280* or so.

Personally I would leave it uncover so the skin will crispen up. If you

don't care about the skin, then you can cover it and it will be moister.

Turkey/Chicken should be smoked with the vent wide open. I wouldn't

go over 165* for a finished IT. Take pics! ;D

Mach1

Pics will definitely follow.  ;) , I won't be covering it, I like a crisp skin. So last question, any broth or anything under the rack in the roasting pan? I would think not sence I'm leaving it uncovered anyway?

Ka Honu

If it's not "enhanced," I'd brine it first.

Mach1

I'm going to try and find an enhanced one so that I don't have to brine for first go at it, and one other question should I put the oven temp the same as what I have my OBS as?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mach1 on August 17, 2011, 10:04:42 PM
I'm going to try and find an enhanced one so that I don't have to brine for first go at it, and one other question should I put the oven temp the same as what I have my OBS as?

If you need to transfer to oven I probably would use a lower temp like 225.

Like I said, I think after 2 hours, you will probably be close to done.

STC does a lot of breast/turkey ;D and he will see this in morning and correct

or add to what I posted.

squirtthecat

Yep!  CRG has you covered...    Couple hours of smoke at 225° then move to the house oven.   I pull mine at 160° and let rest for a bit while it cruises up to 165°.

Pretty much every turkey piece/part I've seen/bought around here has been 'enhanced', so I can't help you with the brine.

Mach1

So after 2 hours of smoke at 245*on my turkey breast(bone in)I'm at 130* dinner is in 2.5-3 hours I plan on transferring it to the oven to crispen the skin up. Any suggestions on when I should transfer it to the oven? How long will it take for the skin to crispen up? I'm wondering if I should turn the temp down to 225* make sure it doesn't get done to long before dinner? Any help is appreciated as I've never cooked a turkey.

Ka Honu

If you want to crisp it up, you'll probably need at least 30-60 minutes in a 325-350o oven.  I'd probably pull it off the smoker at an IT of no more than 140-150o and into the oven till 165o.

Mach1

Sweet I just pulled it, so hopefully last question, should I put broth or anything in bellow the rack in the roasting pan?