Smoked Franks & Spicy Meat Sticks

Started by Kevin A, August 23, 2011, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 30, 2011, 03:53:51 PM

Fantastic...

Which AC Legg mixes did you use?

AC Legg "Bologna / Frankfurter" (Blend # 125)
Be forewarned: right out of the pack & into the meat, this mix smelled....odd.
Sweet, perfumey,— reminded me a bit like the old kool-aid mixes that accidently got up your nose & made you choke... ;D
Must be the combination of all-spice, coriander, mace, etc.........BUT it works.
Franks tasted great. I cooked a small piece before the smoke just to check.  :)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 30, 2011, 03:53:51 PM

Which AC Legg mixes did you use?

Squirt the AC Leggs Snack stix mix #116 is the one I use with great results and like Kevin said you can amp it up with cayenne if needed
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kevin A

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 30, 2011, 04:14:07 PM

Squirt the AC Leggs Snack stix mix #116 is the one I use with great results and like Kevin said you can amp it up with cayenne if needed

Yes, whooops, +1

I forgot to list the snack stick mix in my previous post.
I've also like the #157—BBQ flavor snack sticks mix too. My boys actually liked that batch best over my other 2 (#116 plain & spiced-up).

viper125

Looks real good. but was surprised to hear 10.5 uses a mix and not his own recipe. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

AkBillyBow

What size casing are you guys using to make your franks?

Thanks !!!

pikeman_95

I use 32-35 mm hog casings. I make my franks a little more like the old fashioned meat market frank. They are not as finely ground as hot dogs. This is what they looked like stuffed and the short video show how they stuff. I give them a couple of hours of heavy smoke and then into the water bath to bring to cure temperature.

http://vid943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20%20SAUSAGE%20WITH%20FRIENDS%20280%20POUNDS/STUFFINGTHEGERMANFRANKS.mp4

now into the smoker for a couple of hours.

just out of the smoker and heading for the bath.

Here is the finished product.

tskeeter

Quote from: Kevin A on August 30, 2011, 03:40:31 PM
So, exactly one week later all ten pound of franks & sticks are gone..... :o
In fact they were all but gone 3-4 days after I made the whole batch.
The price of having 3 growing (& eating) sons.......

Not to self: BIGGER BATCHES next time!
:)

Note to self:  Draft my three sons and begin teaching the manly art of sausage making.

Another note to self:  Buy second smoker and another freezer.  With my three sons, I can do Kirby sized batches of sausage, toss them in the freezer, and feed my chow hounds for a couple of months.  (It will also making buying boneless pork shoulder and pork loins (for the Canadian Bacon) by the case easier.)

cobra6223

they do look very good Kevin. I also perfer to double grind to get that look and your right much faster and the last time I emulsifyed with a food processor I destroyed it !! Any interest in sharing your recipe? Thanks.

Thompsoncentre

Wow them frank furters look like the best I've ever seen!! I wonder how much to get that spice mix shipped to canada

AkBillyBow

Thanks for all of the pointers!!  I will be making my first batch of Franks tomorrow !!

AkBillyBow