More Smoked Rainbow

Started by devo, August 26, 2011, 02:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Picked up about 4 pounds of Rainbow trout this morning. Much cheaper than salmom.  ;)
Still thawing out on the table.

Average size was 17 inches long

Lining up my ingredients for the brine.
brown sugar
A few squirts of rooster brand of sriracha hot chili sauce instead of cayenne pepper
Salt
soy sauce
garlic plus, I like this better than garlic powder.
And honey garlic sauce for glazing half way through smoke

Gone for their last over night swim in the brine and into the fridge till tomorrow. Should be in the smoker by noon

mikecorn.1

Cool. Gona be watching this. Hope it turns out great. Been looking to do some fishies myself.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Thats some nice looking trout, Gonna be good!!! Did you see the show where Alton brown went off on the lady cause she said she was using kosher salt and he screamed at her that all salt is "sea salt", I see you have Household ;D

devo

Quote from: Keymaster on August 26, 2011, 04:34:48 PM
Thats some nice looking trout, Gonna be good!!! Did you see the show where Alton brown went off on the lady cause she said she was using kosher salt and he screamed at her that all salt is "sea salt", I see you have Household ;D

LOL thats kinda funny you noticed that. I could'nt find my pickling salt so I had pulled that out. I did find it before I made my brine though and used the pickling salt. I have used both in a the brine and have never noticed any difference.  ;)

devo

Out on my fancy dancy drying table above the kitchen ceiling fan for a few hours before going into the smoker. Two racks of thick pieces and one of the thinner pieces. The thicker pieces took on a nice dark colour.

In the smoker at 12 noon so now its time for lunch and a few beers  ;D

ghost9mm

Devo that is gonna make for some really good eatin...my youngest son and my wife would eat that 7 days a week...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

while im not a big fish eater .. that does look fantastic

Keymaster

devo

Quote from: Keymaster on August 27, 2011, 01:44:18 PM
3 more hours ;D

Yup just looked at them and was thinking the same thing. Actually the thicker pieces seem to be getting done faster than the thin  :o  Time to start keeping a close eye on them anyways,  ;)

devo

After 71/2 hours I think they are done. Decided to glaze them with liquid honey instead of the honey/garlic instead. Looking at the pics they look over done but it's because of the honey glaze I believe. Break one open and it's very moist. Adding a few squirts of rooster brand of sriracha hot chili sauce instead of cayenne pepper has giving them a very nice flavour. I like it for sure.

Rack #1 of thick. You can see some boogers forming but we all know they don't hurt anything.

Rack #2 of thick

Rack #3 the thin pieces. As you can see they seem less done but done just the same.

All three waiting to cool off

And lastly I noticed my bottom faceplate cracked.  >:(  Oh well I will take it off tomorrow and bring into work and have the tin smith's make me a new one out of metal. No sense in changing it out for more plastic.

Keymaster

Looks killer and with a variety you cant go wrong, Nice job Devo!!!!

devo

This has to be the best smoke fish I have ever made. Hope I can replicate it. A Buddie stopped by and he tasted it. Said it was the best he has ever tasted. I went with 4 hours of hickory where as I only two hours of smoke normally . I think that made a big difference. He asked what I put in the brine and I said none-ya. He said WHAT  ???
I said none-ya business  ;D
All packed up and ready for the fridge.

beefmann

ummmm send me some??/  ;D ;D

pikeman_95

Those sure look good Don.  I had a friend bring me three bags of Rainbow trout. After my back feels better I am going to smoke them. He does not like fish but I bet when he taste some of them smoked he will change his mind. Your fish look great.

Kirby

devo

Quote from: pikeman_95 on August 28, 2011, 06:30:28 AM
Those sure look good Don.  I had a friend bring me three bags of Rainbow trout. After my back feels better I am going to smoke them. He does not like fish but I bet when he taste some of them smoked he will change his mind. Your fish look great.

Kirby

Hope you get some relief from your back pain Kirby. I suffer from two deteriorated lower disks and get the Sciatic nerve pain but so far have learned to live with it. Some mornings I need a crane to get me out of bed. Best of luck to ya bud. ;)