Pink Salmon, how to keep before smoking

Started by seagravedriver, September 02, 2011, 12:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagravedriver

A couple of friends just limited out on Pinks in the Puyallup River near me.  They gave me about 6 or so fish to smoke.  This will be my first time.  My problem is I do 24 hours shifts, and I did a shift trade, so I will be gone 48 hours in a row, then off for 5 days.  how long can these keep?  They are on ice now.  Should I freeze them, leave them on ice, or what? I may try to take the smoker to work, but that is real iffy, I could be gone for hours on end. They were caught about 18 hours ago. 

Keymaster

Filet them if not already,  then foodsaver them and keep them as cold as possible right above freezing. They should be fine for a couple days. You can freeze them if your worried but then it a day defrosting. I,m on south hill puyallup. Are they still nice and silver on the outside?

Kummok

I regularly refrigerate salmon for up to 4-5 days (in the mid 30°Fs).

I keep them in a plastic tote, separating each "slab" from touching each other by placing multiple layers (2-3 sheet thickness) of paper towels between each layer.

It's quick/easy to do and I've never had any fish spoil as a result...and I go through a LOT of salmon up here.....

NOTE that this is for salmon only....cod is TOTALLY different and spoils pretty fast....

seagravedriver

Still very silver!   Lots going on, I am glad to hear they will keep.  I am going to run with Kummok's recipe. 

Keymaster

Quote from: seagravedriver on September 02, 2011, 04:35:09 PM
Still very silver!   Lots going on, I am glad to hear they will keep.  I am going to run with Kummok's recipe.
Very good choice you will not be disapointed ;D ;D ;D

KyNola

Quote from: seagravedriver on September 02, 2011, 04:35:09 PM
My friend KeyMaster got to you before I did.  Whatever Kummok says when it comes to salmon, run with it.  You can take it to the bank.