A friend just dropped off a 3.5ft salmon for me!!

Started by MrRaven, August 26, 2011, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrRaven

I teach an English as a Second Language class and we always have an annual BBQ at my house. Well there is a guy in the class who loved fly fishing. He is from China. I heard that I got a smoker this summer so he is excited to try some of my smoked fish.

Well, he called tonight. He asked if I bought the salmon, and I said no. He said he would be right over. He had just caught a 3.5 ft salmon and dropped it off at the house! I was so pumped.

I have never filetted a salmon before. I hacked it up a bunch, but it should still taste great! Below are some pics and now I am going to make the brine for it to swim in tonight!!!

devo

Nothing like free salmon even if you have to clean it. Just make sure you take out all them little pin bones.  :)

beefmann

good looking salmon let us know how it turns out

Kummok

Ouch! That is NOT a serrated steak knife you're using on that fine salmon, MrRaven?!?!   :'(  PuhLeeze tell me that it's just a fuzzy picture....if not, PM me with a mailing address where I can send a gen-you-wine filleting knife if you will be filleting anymore salmon.... ;)

MrRaven

Oh no - it was seen. I need to go and hide my head in shame. Of course Kummok would notice. I don't  have a fish filet knife and my butcher knives wouldn't work well so I went back and forth between this and another knife. Just please don't ban me from this forum for this kind of butchering!!  ;)

Keymaster

MrRaven

OH My did Kummok's recipe make that salmon amazing. a day in the brine - about 7 hours of total smoke at increasing temps with apple wood. woohoo! everyone loved it! Pics to come

Tenpoint5

You will probably be getting more salmon to smoke now!! Good Job.

You might want to take Kummok up on his offer, he may even give you a call and proper instructions on how to fillet a salmon! He be good people so I am pretty sure he would do that. Like that you fillet from the dorsal fin and not from the belly.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kummok

[Chuckling]  Glad you have a good sense of humor Mr Raven...  ;) ;D   The important thing is that you arrived at the DELICIOUS destination!!

OU812

Keymaster

Quote from: OU812 on September 01, 2011, 08:05:09 AM
Can hardly wait for the money shot.
Summers not over, Teachers start september 6th ;D Sorry I'm School Maintenance and work all year :) I'll stand in the corner now ;)