winner, winner, turkey dinner

Started by Mach1, August 26, 2011, 10:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

Once again only had the Iphone handy, so sorry for the crappy pics. Next time I will take more pics of everything I do, but here is what I got.

I got a 7lb turkey breast(bone in), it was already enhanced, so I didn't brine it, I lifted the skin mixed some of Jans rub with with some softened unsalted sweet butter and rubbed the meat down and rubbed the inside of the body cavity with some of the mix, then I pinned the skin back to the meat with some tooth pics, then rubbed the skin down with olive oil and patted on some more of Jans rub, then into the smoker for 2 hours of Apple smoke at 245*.

After about 3 hrs in the OBS the breast were at a temp of 150*, so I pulled it out to transfer to the oven to crispen up the skin.

After about an hour in the oven at 300* in a the roaster with a little apple juice below the roasting rack and a meat temp of 170* took it out, and let it rest for about 15 min.

Then sliced it up, as you can tell by the pic you can't see a whole lot of skin mostly because my guest peeled it off and ate it, they all said it was the best skin they'ed ever had, and that it was one of the most moist turkey's they had ever eaten.

Sorry about the lack and quality of pics, but like the title says it was a winner!

MrRaven

Looks awesome!!! Wish I was there for a taste. And I know what it is like when you only have the iPhone handy!!!

mikecorn.1

Very nice. Good looking tan on that skin.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

classicrockgriller

It just keeps getting easier.

Nice going.

squirtthecat

KyNola

Looks great Mach1.  You are rocking the Bradley this week!

ghost9mm

Way to go Mach1...the bird looks really good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

ccfdmike

Looks way better than the processed stuff in my sandwich! :(

Mach1

It was really good, a couple days later me and the wife reheated it with some mashed taters and gravy, it was pretty decent, but for some reason turkey gravy didn't work with the smoked flavor of the bird, what do some of you do gravy/topping wise?

Chili Head

I've been craving smoked turkey for awhile. Yours looks REALLY nice!