Temperature Probe

Started by thostorey, November 25, 2005, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thostorey

I've been reading a number of posts here about folks using thermometers mounted externally on the smoker with a probe to the food inside. Sounds like a more accurate way to determine when the food is properly cooked than relying on the '<i>time, door temp guage, guess</i>' method. I realise there are probably a number of units that would fill the bill, but Murphy says that, left on my own, the one I'd get would not [:I] What make and model do you suggest, what should I expect to pay for it and where in Canada would I order it from. A US source is ok except the customs thing is a hassle.

Thanks, Tom

Tom in Qualicum Beach

car54

Do a web search for a Maverick ET73, It is a dual probe unit. It measures the meat and smoker temperature. I have seen it as low as $40.00.

Brad

tsquared

Hey Tom-- Trying to get a Maverick up here is a genuine pita. I couldn't find a Canadian distributor and ended up buying one and having it shipped to an in-law's place in California. He sent it up to me here. If you do go this route, please specify that you want it shipped US postal service and NOT one of the private companies. The private ones charge a ripoff rate for coming over the border--it turned out to be more than I paid for the thermometer.[:(!]Having said that,the maverick has been a good unit for me.
T2

thostorey

I found this link to a distributor in West Vancouver, however, the unit is a bit costly at Cdn. $89 + tax + shipping. I may wait to get one until I'm in Palm Springs in February. A little more competition in the USA leads to better prices [:)]

http://www.johnstones.com/accessories/maverick/et-73.html

Tom in Qualicum Beach

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">$89 + tax + shipping. </font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">WoW if one cost that much I would stay with feeling the smoke before I came up with that much money... geeee

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

IKnowWood

And here I was cost comparing $39 to $49 and stressing over that...

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

JJC

I'm a big fan of the Mav ET-73, but I accidentally left it at our place in Maine a few weeks ago.  I've been smoking up a storm here without it--butts, turkey, salmon, nuts, cheese, and ABTs. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that between my reasonably accurate BS door thermometer (I'm nowhere near trying Olds' "sensitive hand" method yet!) and a regular old meat thermometer I've been doing just fine.  Mind you, when I get the Mav back I'm going to start using it again, but I was happy to see that a little experience alone works pretty damn well!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

gotbbq

The redi chek, smoker model is great.  Remote unit and base tat measures ambient temp as well as meat temp.  The cost is about 40.00.

gotbbq

TomG

I've been very happy with my Oregon Scientific Digital Wireless BBQ/Oven Thermometer  (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1) from Costco online for $24.99.

-Tom-

car54

My grandson's father just bought a Bradley. I sent him my Maverick ET73. Since I made a Cold Fusion temp. controller I do not need a duo probe unit. I am also going to make another one for the kid's father.

Brad

tsquared

Yeah, but you have to remember, that's $89 in our funny money!
T2

thostorey

$89 Cdn is still about $75 US. I don't know why it is that vendors in the frozen north try to make their fortunes on a single purchase [:(] I'm as patriotic as most and I would like to support the local economy but I hate being 'taken' more. [:(!] The Costco unit looks interesting; I'll shop around when I'm in the sunny south[:D]. Thanks for all the input!

Tom in Qualicum Beach