Did a 8 lb butt a few days ago

Started by mnmike, August 31, 2011, 08:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnmike

Injected with cajun roasted garlic and herb cym slather and rub also used some brown sugar put in a ziplock bag over night

After 5 hours of hickory

After 15 total hours it hit a i.t of 190 pulled and ftc for 2 hours

After 2 hours ftc

All pulled and ready to chow down turned out very good and it tasted way better the next day could really taste the smoke flavor in the meat was real juicey i sprayed a mix of apple juice,apple cider vinegar and chicken broth every hour after i was done with the smoke and i tryed apple cider and apple juice in the water bowl just for the nuts of it

grnhs

That looks really good, nice bark on that butt!

mikecorn.1

Nice looking piggy. Got a real nice tan on it.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

squirtthecat

coolsmoker

Looks good, nothing better than a good pork meteorite !

.... but is there a reason why you left that big layer of fat on your butt?   I've always found butts to have plenty of internal fat/marbeling, so I always remove any fat from the outside of the butt.  Having fat on the outside of the butt just means you'll have less bark when all is said and done.  The rub won't adhere to the fat or is removed anyway.  The bark is where you get the good flavor from, so the more bark the better imho.  I always remove any fat so that my butts get a nice bark all the way around that gets chopped/pulled with the rest of it. 

I also used to spray/baste my butts but have since found it unnecessary.   The butts I buy always have plenty of internal fat/marbeling that they have NEVER turned out dry.  Plus all that spraying/basting is just washing off rub/bark.  Not to mention that all that opening of the smoker just slows the whole process down.

I love a nice thick bark, so I remove all fat and rub my butts heavily!   

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

mnmike

Will keep that inmind coolsmoker guess was just the way i started doing it next time i will trim the fat more and try it that way. Guess i never knew to trim it off kinda new at this yet still learning guess thats why i come here lol

squirtthecat

If you get in a hurry (or feel lazy like me), just flip it over and put the fat side down.   Lots o' bark that way.

OU812

Oh Yaaaa...........good lookin hunk of pig!

That there pile of pulled pork looks mighty tasty, I could go for a big ol sammie right about now.

I also cut all the fat off..........I need it for makin sausage.  ;D