Mr. Brown, Bad Byrons, or other......

Started by TonyL222, August 17, 2011, 04:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyL222

Gonna smoke two butts for a weekend party.  I always keep a big bag of Mr. Brown ready, and I ordered some BBBR which should arrive today.  I'll slather the butts with either CYM or Carolina Treat before applyinf he rub.

For those that may have tried both, which butt rub do you prefer?  Any other recommendations (home made or easily bought locally)?  I could always do one and one, but just asking for expert opinion  ;D

zueth

I used BBBR and it turned out great, can't comment on the other because I have not used it.

I rubbed down with olive oil then applied the rub.

FLBentRider

I've used both, I like both, but if I had to choose it would be Mr. Brown.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 17, 2011, 10:59:11 AM
I've used both, I like both, but if I had to choose it would be Mr. Brown.

Ditto.

If you havent tried BBBR I would slather 1 butt with CYM and BBBR then the other with CT and The Renowned Mr. Brown

TonyL222

I think I'll use CYM on both and rub one with BBBR and the other with Mr. Brown.  For a good comparison, I don't want to bring CT into the picture.  I just need to remember to mark one so I tell which is which.

OU812

Quote from: TonyL222 on August 18, 2011, 09:36:47 AM
I think I'll use CYM on both and rub one with BBBR and the other with Mr. Brown.  For a good comparison, I don't want to bring CT into the picture.  I just need to remember to mark one so I tell which is which.

Stick a toothpick in one of them and try to remember which one has the toothpick.  ;D

TonyL222

Almost forgot to follow up.  It was close, but most of my guest preferred Mr. Brown.  Bad Byron's is just a tad saltier to the taste - but nothing overpowering.  May try BBBR on some ribs this holiday weekend.

OU812

Quote from: TonyL222 on August 30, 2011, 09:02:44 AM
Almost forgot to follow up.  It was close, but most of my guest preferred Mr. Brown.  Bad Byron's is just a tad saltier to the taste - but nothing overpowering.  May try BBBR on some ribs this holiday weekend.

No pictures........Didnt happen.  ;D

coolsmoker

A favorite that I keep going back to is Ray Lampe's (Dr. BBQ) Championship Rub.   The recipe is in his book.     Its good on everything from poultry to pork to beef.   Everybody that has tried it always seems to really like it.  I usually mix mine with a tad bit more heat/kick that his original recipe calls for though.  No matter what rubs I have, I always have a jar of that stuff on hand.  And as soon as the jar runs empty, I whip up another batch ASAP.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: coolsmoker on August 31, 2011, 10:54:38 AM
A favorite that I keep going back to is Ray Lampe's (Dr. BBQ) Championship Rub.   The recipe is in his book.     Its good on everything from poultry to pork to beef.   Everybody that has tried it always seems to really like it.  I usually mix mine with a tad bit more heat/kick that his original recipe calls for though.  No matter what rubs I have, I always have a jar of that stuff on hand.  And as soon as the jar runs empty, I whip up another batch ASAP.

You should post the original recipe up so folks can give it a try. Help some of the new folks looking for rubs to try, and some of the old folks something new to try.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TonyL222

Quote from: OU812 on August 30, 2011, 09:10:44 AM
Quote from: TonyL222 on August 30, 2011, 09:02:44 AM

No pictures........Didnt happen.  ;D

Haha!! Ya got me.

classicrockgriller

Here's his Big Time Rub

Big Time BBQ Rub

- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.

Yields 1 1/2 cups