Santa Maria rub

Started by squirtthecat, September 02, 2011, 05:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Ok all you West Coasters...    What is in your favorite Santa Maria rub?

I'm doing my first ever (at my house) tri-tip tomorrow night, and that's the rub I think I want to use..

TIA,
STC.

muebe

Try to get some of this if you can find it...

http://www.cattlemansgrill.com/CaliTriTip.html

Or you can try to replicate it. It is made up of coarse cut pepper,garlic,onion,red pepper and sea salt :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Ka Honu

The "classic" seasoning for Santa Maria tri tip is salt, pepper, and garlic.  That's it.  Salt, pepper, and garlic.  Red oak for the wood. I'd probably go with that for my first one so you can see what the meat tastes like "straight up" and adjust the spices to your liking later.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 02, 2011, 09:22:12 AM
The "classic" seasoning for Santa Maria tri tip is salt, pepper, and garlic.  That's it.  Salt, pepper, and garlic.  Red oak for the wood. I'd probably go with that for my first one so you can see what the meat tastes like "straight up" and adjust the spices to your liking later.

Well, that's easy enough.   That's kinda what I had in mind when I first bought these..    Equal parts ya think?
Fresh out of red oak, but I've got bags mini logs with some oak content in them.

Thanks!

OU812

From what I've read its 2 part kosher salt, 1 part black pepper and 1 part garlic powder.

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 02, 2011, 11:04:43 AM
From what I've read its 2 part kosher salt, 1 part black pepper and 1 part garlic powder.

Works for me!

For some reason I thought that rub had some kind of green stuff in it......   Must be a Cali thing.   ;D

muebe

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 02, 2011, 11:09:47 AM
Quote from: OU812 on September 02, 2011, 11:04:43 AM

Works for me!

For some reason I thought that rub had some kind of green stuff in it......   Must be a Cali thing.   ;D

Squirt that green stuff might not be legal in your state :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SoCalBuilder

Found a recipe at Food.com that has paprika and rosemary in it. Rosemary might be your green stuff.

OU812

I use 1 part fine sea salt (same grind as table salt) 1 part butchers grind black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic and 1 part granulated onion on my briskets.

Just sayin.  ;D

squirtthecat

Thanks SoCal.  I just saw the same thing.

Quote from: OU812 on September 02, 2011, 11:16:41 AM
I use 1 part fine sea salt (same grind as table salt) 1 part butchers grind black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic and 1 part granulated onion on my briskets.

Just sayin.  ;D

Santa Nebraska rub...   I like it.

I thought about breaking out that jar of Wooster powder I split with you ages ago, but I don't want to cover up the flavor of the $$ meat.    I'll get it out next time I do smoked Italian beef.

rdevous

SMBBQ RECIPE

2 Parts Garlic Salt
1 Part Paprika
1 Part Cayenne Pepper

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

SiFumar

Growing up in Cali my Dad used salt, pepper, garlic and paprika....and sprinkled parsley on it at the end.."for color"

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 02, 2011, 11:21:15 AM
Thanks SoCal.  I just saw the same thing.

Quote from: OU812 on September 02, 2011, 11:16:41 AM

Just sayin.  ;D

Santa Nebraska rub...   I like it.

I thought about breaking out that jar of Wooster powder I split with you ages ago, but I don't want to cover up the flavor of the $$ meat.    I'll get it out next time I do smoked Italian beef.

Dude.......you are the second person that read my mind today!

I'm gonna add 1/2 part Wor powder to my brisket rub.

Got the smoker fired up and the brisket ready, just mixin up my rub now.

Gonna be a good weekend,,,I can feel it.

Smokin Soon

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 02, 2011, 09:22:12 AM

Tri-Tip does not need much, other than what Ka Honu has stated. Wifey suggested Montreal Seasonings on one and Cattleman's Prime Rib Seasoning on another, and they both sucked.
Back to basics.

KyNola

Oh hell son, slap the Gunpowder Rub on it just like the bazillion you and I have smoked/cooked together.  Why mess with perfection? ;) :D