Ordering another heating element

Started by Mach1, August 31, 2011, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

I figure I might as well order an extra heating element or 2, invade mine goes out it would be nice to have an extra one on hand and for when I get brave enough to do the dual element mod, which I want real bad, I just don't trust myself enough to not screw it up. I've seen people post on here that they got them for as low as $13, is there a coupon cod for yard and pool? As my name shows I'm a big mustang (ford) guy and I know a lot of companies offer discounts for belonging to a certain forum/group. I just wanna get the set deal possible.

Thanks

TonyL222

Hey Mach1:

I guess I was hard headed and refused to buy a "spare" element for a product under warranty.  I lost two elements within the first 3 smokes each, but was able to finish in the oven each time.  If you buy a spare and lose and element under warranty, I would still call it in. 

My warranty period was about up, so I went ahead with the dual element mod.  I'm probably one of the most "un handy" men around  ;D.  Look at this thread, http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23550.0 .  Near the end is a discussion of TedEBear's method of wiring, which made the process very simple.  I used this method and took the slider out of the loop just by clipping off the spade connectors at the slider and light, and twisting them together with a ceramic connector nut.

Hardest part is cutting the hole for the 2nd element into the reflector.  Just measure where the holes should go very carefully, then drill a very small whole and use progressively larger bits until you get to the final size.  You'll definitely want some C clamps to hold the reflector steady while you drill.

That's it.  The electrical part was easy.  You might also look at the single 900watt solution.  If you forgo the convection fan, that looks simpler than the dual element but is 100W shy.  Not sure that makes much of a difference, though.

Good luck!!!

beefmann

i would have a spare or two on hand, i have two spare 900 watt elements and a spare blower here

wthr_dude

Yep im holding out until warranty runs out before I buy a spare I just installed my 3rd one under warranty and the serial numbers match what others have posted as being the "new" batch so we will see if the 3rd time is the charm